If you were already nominated by the state, even though you have 65 points, any chance you won't get invitation from DHA??

Can anyone please clarify to me?

I have been nominated before with only 65 points. (For 489 visa). For some reason, my work experience was not satisfied by the state. So they cancelled my nomination. Now I just submitted EOI again (with the required timing of employment) and wait.....

I would like to know  the process after nomination is done and approved. Even though you are nominated by the state. But if you only have minimum points, are you still gonna get invite from DHA? 

I have looked in Invitation rounds from immi website. The points they are talking about is more than 80??https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/working-in-australia/skillselect/invitation-rounds

Does that mean, even you have state nomination with low points, you are not gonna get invite from immi anyway?

1 hour ago, wokeuplikediss said:

I have been nominated before with only 65 points. (For 489 visa). For some reason, my work experience was not satisfied by the state. So they cancelled my nomination. Now I just submitted EOI again (with the required timing of employment) and wait.....

I would like to know  the process after nomination is done and approved. Even though you are nominated by the state. But if you only have minimum points, are you still gonna get invite from DHA? 

I have looked in Invitation rounds from immi website. The points they are talking about is more than 80??https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/working-in-australia/skillselect/invitation-rounds

Does that mean, even you have state nomination with low points, you are not gonna get invite from immi anyway?

The state nomination effectively takes you out if the points queue and puts you at the application stage (as though you had been selected on points)

The only requirements are

1. You are state nominated

2. You get at least 65 points (including nomination points)

3. The info on your EOI is correct

4. Health and Police checks etc come back correct

The payback for not having to wait in the points queue is you have to commit to the nominating state for at least 2 years. If you are nominated by NSW, WA, QLD or SA then that's great - however you might not be as keen on NT or TAS for 2 years - not because they aren't beautiful (they are), but because as they are so much smaller, you may struggle with finding jobs etc. (Of course it depends on what you do, but in my case all my work requires being near large corporate HQs so I need a very large city)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wokeuplikediss said:

. Even though you are nominated by the state. But if you only have minimum points, are you still gonna get invite from DHA? 

I don't know why you are asking the question, because you are not nominated by the state. You had your nomination cancelled.  So you are back at the beginning.

24 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I don't know why you are asking the question, because you are not nominated by the state. You had your nomination cancelled.  So you are back at the beginning.

It's not clear from the post but I suspect they got a knock-back after an invite to apply for sponsorship because they had done something wrong in their employment history list. It sounds like this has been rectified and they are resubmitting.

What I presume they are asking is after the state has agreed the nomination (which they quite possibly might not), does that mean you still have to wait until people with 65 pts are being invited - to which the answer is no

However all three of the skills assessing agency, state nomination team and Immigration can look at anything they want in the application so they any of them could re-look at the OPO employment history and take issue - just because one has passed it doesn't mean the next will

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

It's not clear from the post but I suspect they got a knock-back after an invite to apply for sponsorship because they had done something wrong in their employment history list. It sounds like this has been rectified and they are resubmitting.

Yes, that's how I read it, too.

But wouldn't that just be treated as a new application, so he's back competing with everyone else on a points basis?  In which case, with only 65 points he probably has little chance?

@Ausvisitor @Marisawright  Thank you very very much for your replies. 😀😀😀😀

Yes, I got nomination from QLD in November 2018 with 65 points. However, with the 489 visa in my occupation, they require me to have certain period of employment in QLD in which I already have (I had been living onshore in Brisbane and working for nearly 4 years).

I just moved to regional area last year, planning to apply for 489. They did not count my experience in Brisbane at all. They say it has to be in REGIONAL QLD only for 489. Which was the reason why they cancelled the nomination and withdrawn the application. Details on the website (back then) was not clear..... Gutted but have to accept that.

Now I have been working in the regional area for more than 6 months, have met their requirements, already got positive skill assessment. 

EOI has been re-submitted again. I might need to redo IELTS again to increase my points, if I missed this round. 

/fingers crossed

Edited by wokeuplikediss

13 minutes ago, wokeuplikediss said:

@Ausvisitor @Marisawright  Thank you very very much for your replies. 😀😀😀😀

Yes, I got nomination from QLD in November 2018 with 65 points. However, with the 489 visa in my occupation, they require me to have certain period of employment in QLD in which I already have (I had been living onshore in Brisbane and working for nearly 4 years).

I just moved to regional area last year, planning to apply for 489. They did not count my experience in Brisbane at all. They say it has to be in REGIONAL QLD only for 489. Which was the reason why they cancelled the nomination and withdrawn the application. Details on the website (back then) was not clear..... Gutted but have to accept that.

Now I have been working in the regional area for more than 6 months, have met their requirements, already got positive skill assessment. 

EOI has been re-submitted again. I might need to redo IELTS again to increase my points, if I missed this round. 

/fingers crossed

Given how long the IELTS test takes (you have to book a few weeks in advance usually and then wait two weeks for result), if you are planning on taking it again, I wouldn't wait I'd just get it booked. You could also look at the Pearson PTE - the results are almost immediate - i got mine by 6am on the friday having finished the test at 4:30pm on the Thursday.

Also it is worth noting that the 489 applications don't run by the timetable of the immigration rounds; the states can pull from the queue any time they want, whenever they want so there is no hard and fast 11th of the month date to wait for.

The following are the conditions that QLD attach to the 489 visa

• provide evidence of full-time employment (post-qualification) in your nominated occupation for the past 6 months in Queensland. If you are lodging an EOI for a 489 visa you must be working in REGIONAL Queensland in your nominated occupation for the past 6 months.
  • provide evidence of ongoing employment with a Queensland employer registered in Australia for a further 12 months (minimum of 35 hours per week). For the 489 it must be a ongoing employment in a REGIONAL area for a further 12 months.
  • commit to living and working in Queensland for 2 years from visa grant

Most states tend to prefer/bias their nominations to superior english candidates - so a higher test mark might be beneficial. However the QLD migration list is suspended until the end of the financial year; so depending on how you are applying that could be the reason why you aren't getting a nomination on your new EOI

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wokeuplikediss said:

I've never heard of a state cancelling a nomination, normally they would invite you to apply for state sponsorship and then they would process your sponsorship application.  If they reject it, then you start over.  If they approve it, they notify DHA who issues you the invitation to apply for the visa itself.

So it sounds like the state invited you to apply for sponsorship and rejected your application?

The information on the DHA website for invitation rounds does not include state sponsorship visas so you can ignore that in your situation.

• Like 1