Accounting Qualification - CPA

Hi there

For all you accountants out there - is it worth applying for CPA membership under the mutual recognition agreement with CIMA?  I am thinking it may help overcome the potential not getting past the first round of Resume review due to not having worked in Australia (although 14 years for an ASX listed group).  Your thoughts and experiences welcome.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/05/2019 at 01:25, Jon the Hat said:

Hi there

For all you accountants out there - is it worth applying for CPA membership under the mutual recognition agreement with CIMA?  I am thinking it may help overcome the potential not getting past the first round of Resume review due to not having worked in Australia (although 14 years for an ASX listed group).  Your thoughts and experiences welcome.

I went through the MRA to get CPA, and for first two years was irrelevant as I contracted back to former employer. 

I ended up being approached by an Australian company via LinkedIn, and I would hope that the CPA helped get my profile in the target range.

It really depends on your field, for me it feels more box ticking than value added 😉

On 06/06/2019 at 09:09, Ferrets said:

I went through the MRA to get CPA, and for first two years was irrelevant as I contracted back to former employer. 

I ended up being approached by an Australian company via LinkedIn, and I would hope that the CPA helped get my profile in the target range.

It really depends on your field, for me it feels more box ticking than value added 😉

Thanks Ferrets.  We are hoping to live in Perth, so getting a job is going to be critical.  I am working for an ASX listed company, but no presence in Perth and few jobs at my level anyhow, so we are going it alone. I may have to step down to a senior manager role to get work I guess, but for the right company that isn't a drama.

8 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Thanks Ferrets.  We are hoping to live in Perth, so getting a job is going to be critical.  I am working for an ASX listed company, but no presence in Perth and few jobs at my level anyhow, so we are going it alone. I may have to step down to a senior manager role to get work I guess, but for the right company that isn't a drama.

LinkedIn is an important resource