Subclass 820 Partner visa

qpm

Hi,

If I'm currently on a Working Holiday Visa but am looking to switch to a de facto visa (my partner and I have been together for awhile and he's a citizen),  if we lodge my application now, and my WHV runs out in about 6 months - do I lose my working rights until the bridging visa is approved? Or is the bridging visa usually issued quite fast but the Parmanent 801 visa takes about 2 years?

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/06/2019 at 04:17, qpm said:

Hi,

If I'm currently on a Working Holiday Visa but am looking to switch to a de facto visa (my partner and I have been together for awhile and he's a citizen),  if we lodge my application now, and my WHV runs out in about 6 months - do I lose my working rights until the bridging visa is approved? Or is the bridging visa usually issued quite fast but the Parmanent 801 visa takes about 2 years?

As above, your bridging visa will be granted immediately after you make a valid application for a partner visa, but will not come into effect until the WHV expires.

You must abide by the conditions of the WHV until that point. If you want to work for the same employer for more than 6 months on the WHV, you must apply for an exemption.