489 instead of 190

RK_190

Hello All,

I have applied for NT sponsorship for 190 application but I have been offered with 489 visa. I am working full time in my skilled occupation from the last 18 months. I met all the conditions for 190 Visa but still I have been offered with 489 Visa stating that I need to be in NT for at least 3 years to get 190 nomination. However, it was not mentioned in any of the Migration NT websites.

Has anyone got the similar response?

Regards,

RK

As you probably know, the 190 visa is sponsored by the state - however once you have the visa, you can live anywhere in Australia.  There is only a "moral obligation" to stay in your sponsoring state.

The states are getting fed up of people ignoring the "moral obligation" and leaving as soon as they get their 190 - so they are offering more 489's.  I'm guessing this may be what has happened in your case. There's not much you can do about it.

Yep, it makes sense from the State's point of view and nicer if they come up with the enforcement to 190 Visa to oblige the rules instead of providing 489 Visa. Would be better if it was mentioned officially in their websites instead of making people to just wait till the end result to see which Visa was allotted.

Appreciate your timely response, Marisa 🙂