Possible work back in UK

Lynn Ferguson

If you're dual citizens then there are no formalities to complete, he can just head over there and work.   

A British company will not pay into his superannuation fund, but he will be able to make contributions of his own, if he so chooses, and of course the super fund will continue to earn income while he's away. 

He will have to pay tax in the UK like any other British worker, and very likely lodge a tax return in Australia as well.

I could imagine that having his principal residence in Australia, even though he's working in the UK, could make his situation interesting from a tax perspective.  It would be wise to consult a tax expert who is knowledgeable on both British and Australian tax laws.  We've seen a lot of people come a cropper by relying on separate British and Australian accountants.

I started work in Southampton four weeks after leaving Sydney back in 1996. I think all I had to provide was my National Insurance number. I had not worked in the UK for thirteen years.

Taxation-wise, HMRC, probably the Inland Revenue at that time, made me do self-assessment tax returns for about five years before I think the finally accepted that I was "domiciled" in Australia and not the UK, i.e. my home was in Australia and I intended to return there, after which I joined the bulk of the UK work force and my returns were completed by HMRC. I still had to file a tax return in Australia every year too. I still file a UK tax return because I have a UK income.

I paid National Insurance like everybody else although I joined my employer's pension scheme which meant reduced NI contributions (SERPS??) When I reached 60 I started getting a pension from my employer, which I have paid into my Aussie bank account. When I reach UK retirement age I will get some sort of state pension, although frozen at the rate when it starts as I live in Australia.

I was already enrolled with my parents' medical centre so just continued going there.

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2019 at 02:18, Lynn Ferguson said:

My husband maybe offered some work back in the UK. The rest of the family would remain here in Oz. We have duel citizenship. Can anyone advice how this work regarding tax, super etc? 

The issue is his length of being in each country, as far as I know  he will be taxed in the country wherever he is resident for longer than 6 months but there is a reciprocal taxation agreement between the two countries and there are now residency requirements for NHS treatment. Also I am not sure whether he would be able to claim familial tax allowances in the UK if his family are with him and vice vesus for family in Australia

I emphasise this is my understanding and based on non expert knowledge, but it may pay to get some professional advice as it may not be quite so straightforward if your husband is not going to be long term resident in the UK

• Thanks 1