Can I apply for 485 dependent visa if my 482 visa got refused?

Aiden Dallas

• 3 weeks later...

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/contact-us/telephone/outside-australia

Perhaps call the Immigration Department on :

Outside Australia

Check our website for any visa and citizenship information. If you still have further questions or require more information please call us.

If you are calling from the Americas or Europe please call our Global Service Centre (GSC) located in Australia on +61 2 6196  0196, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm local time in your country. 

• If calling from a landline please make sure you use your international dialling code (IDD), country code and the GSC number. Embassy and High Commission staff in these locations will direct you to the same service.

On 12/08/2019 at 12:00, Aiden Dallas said:

My 482 visa is refused and so can I apply for 485 dependent on visa on the basis of partner?

The reason for refusal might have implications. Contact a registered agent to find the best way forwatd (not the Immigration Dept)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

The reason for refusal might have implications. Contact a registered agent to find the best way forwatd (not the Immigration Dept)

The answer will depend on a number of issues - as recommended, get some professional advice. Certainly do not rely on what you are told by the call centre.

1 hour ago, MARYROSE02 said:

@MARYROSE02 you've been away for a while so perhaps you've forgotten, but advising people to ring the Immigration Department is a really bad idea.   They'll just speak to a Call Centre kid who's reading off a screen, it's not expert advice.  They're not legally liable if someone acts on the advice and it's wrong, either.  

• Like 3

On 27/08/2019 at 23:28, Marisawright said:

@MARYROSE02 you've been away for a while so perhaps you've forgotten, but advising people to ring the Immigration Department is a really bad idea.   They'll just speak to a Call Centre kid who's reading off a screen, it's not expert advice.  They're not legally liable if someone acts on the advice and it's wrong, either.  

Is that the way the Immigration Department inbound telephone calls centre is organized? I work for another Commonwealth Government department and our call centre operators are taking inbound queries all the time.  I don't do that particular job but I can hear the operators' responses and I know that before they go "live" they go through intensive training. If the query is too complex then calls can be re-directed to more senior officers.

I think it is possible that, just as with my department, (I won't say which one), people are frightened to contact us which is perhaps understandable but not usually justifiable.

If you cannot find the information via the official websites, what alternative is there to contacting the government department yourself, other than, in this case paying a migration agent to do the same thing, possibly not unlike choosing between paying a tax agent to process your returns or doing them yourself?

26 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Is that the way the Immigration Department inbound telephone calls centre is organized? I work for another Commonwealth Government department and our call centre operators are taking inbound queries all the time.  I don't do that particular job but I can hear the operators' responses and I know that before they go "live" they go through intensive training. If the query is too complex then calls can be re-directed to more senior officers.

I think it is possible that, just as with my department, (I won't say which one), people are frightened to contact us which is perhaps understandable but not usually justifiable.

If you cannot find the information via the official websites, what alternative is there to contacting the government department yourself, other than, in this case paying a migration agent to do the same thing, possibly not unlike choosing between paying a tax agent to process your returns or doing them yourself?

The immigration call centre was outsourced by the Government to Datacon in 2018. Sadly, Marisa is correct on the likely outcome of a call to the immi helpline. I believe Datacon also handle the ATO's helpline.

Perhaps the ATO's service is better - but then its "clients" get to vote in elections, whereas most people with an immigration issue, by definition, do not.

• Like 2

On 12/08/2019 at 12:00, Aiden Dallas said:

My 482 visa is refused and so can I apply for 485 dependent on visa on the basis of partner?

Depends on a number of issues including whether section 48 applies because of the refusal.

On 27/08/2019 at 22:23, MARYROSE02 said:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/contact-us/telephone/outside-australia

Perhaps call the Immigration Department on :

Outside Australia

Check our website for any visa and citizenship information. If you still have further questions or require more information please call us.

If you are calling from the Americas or Europe please call our Global Service Centre (GSC) located in Australia on +61 2 6196  0196, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm local time in your country. 

• If calling from a landline please make sure you use your international dialling code (IDD), country code and the GSC number. Embassy and High Commission staff in these locations will direct you to the same service.

It would be dangerous to rely on this for Immigration Advice, as this is not their role.