Document Certification - cheaper alternatives?

le petit roi

I need a passport (and possibly a utility bill) certified for emailing a certified copy to the UK. I have no problems for paying for services where justified but the fees ($100+) I saw advertised for this service from a couple of Notary Public websites I viewed, are, for less than 10 minutes of simple and unskilled effort, outrageous.There are no reading complex manuscripts or several pages of text to ensure the data is valid so I don't care what training they have or their experience, for a simple exercise, this is a rort.

If anyone would like to suggest such an alternative  I'm happy to listen because it's likely to be significantly cheaper and less inconvenient just to send over my physical UK passport via recorded delivery. I'm not hopeful for my purposes that the use of a  JP is an approved alternative to a solicitor or Notary Public but I have asked the question and awaiting a response.

Cheers

Under Australian law, JPs are allowed to certify copies of documents. You are following the legal guidelines of where you are residing. It should not be an issue IMO.

I have personally done this for a UK passport application from Oz, successfully.

Edited by DukeNinja
  • Like 1

Thanks. I am in Oz so you'd think an Oz JP would be acceptable to the UK legal system (and more convenient for me) hence I'm asking the question of the UK. Today's UK Public Holiday will delay the answer but hopefully it will be a worthwhile wait. I'm informed that evidence of my identity is for compliance with UK anti-money laundering legislation if that makes a difference.

Thanks. I'm informed that evidence of my identity is for compliance with UK anti-money laundering legislation if that makes a difference and only a solicitor or Notary Public are acceptable to certify the passport and utility bill. Without being directed at the pertinent legislation, I'm not convinced hence if this is only an office policy, it'll be easier and cheaper to go somewhere that an Oz JP is acceptable. If its UK legislation, I'll need to suck it up but I'll never be convinced however that the almost $100 fee I've saw advertised online for the Notary Public will ever be one that has been well-earned for my documents.   🙂           

Edited by le petit roi

I was told the same.  I sent copies certified by a JP along with info from the JP website explaining they were fully authorised to do it.  It was fine.

Why not just get it done by a JP and e mail it.  If they don’t accept it you haven’t lost anything and you can get them certified by a solicitor.

9 hours ago, le petit roi said:

Thanks. I am in Oz so you'd think an Oz JP would be acceptable to the UK legal system (and more convenient for me) hence I'm asking the question of the UK. Today's UK Public Holiday will delay the answer but hopefully it will be a worthwhile wait. I'm informed that evidence of my identity is for compliance with UK anti-money laundering legislation if that makes a difference.

I have had documents certified by a JP for passport and marriage, never had a problem.

l’m curious, is this some new requirement by the banks?

Edited by Marisawright