Moving to Hervey Bay

francy

Hi all,

Just after some advise on a few things.  Yes, we have jobs to come to (I know that's the first thing ticked).  We had a few days up in the beginning of October, so know most of the areas.

1. Enrolling the kids in Urangan High Scholl - after good, quiet family areas in catchment area for rentals near enough for the kids to ride bikes to school

2. Any areas to avoid?

3. Any recommendations for a removal company - coming from Albury.  Already had one quote at $10k!!!

Moving up in mid December.

And any other help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• 2 months later...

The first place we stayed over in the motorhome as we travelled the east coast from brisbane. (Aug 2016) It was also the whale festival.  Amazing memories.  We watched the sunrise on the first morning, lovely place.  We are moving to Queensland but yet to secure an actual area (visa state nomination).

Hervey Bay really is the hidden gem on Queensland's coast. Affordable housing, great infrastructure now and wonderful people. We have been living here since 2006 and have bought three house in that time (in Urangan, Kawungan and now Toogoom) and so if anybody wants any advice please don't hesitate to ask.

20 hours ago, BobHatton said:

Hervey Bay really is the hidden gem on Queensland's coast. Affordable housing, great infrastructure now and wonderful people. We have been living here since 2006 and have bought three house in that time (in Urangan, Kawungan and now Toogoom) and so if anybody wants any advice please don't hesitate to ask.

I am about to retire, was looking for a house on sunny coast really. But we went to Hervey for a couple of days and really liked it. Looking at house prices, there are real bargains around $600k  close to beach and town and big plots 1000 m plus.

Problem is wife wants to stay where we are and carry on working. I wondered if there are any cheaper houses (not units/apartments), say $300k I could live in as A kind of beach house, but still close to it all. Looked on real estate sites, not much on them

Sell it to me, mate

Edited by davlap

Feed 'Toogoom' into realestate.com.au

There you'll find a number of houses around the $300K mark and within spitting distance to a beautiful beach. We have a locl shop, hairdressers, chemist and a couple of restaurants. Just try and make sure you buy an actual 'brick and tile' house as there were a number of houses built with polystyrene blocks that have problems (not all). Let me know what you find and I'll be able to help you. I've attached a house for sale in Toogoom currently at $305K - only one street from beach.

If you're mad keen to be in Hervey Bay itself (Toogoom is only a 15 minute drive) then look at suburbs like Eli Waters which is also still very affordable. 

Toogoom House.jpg

1 hour ago, BobHatton said:

Feed 'Toogoom' into realestate.com.au

There you'll find a number of houses around the $300K mark and within spitting distance to a beautiful beach. We have a locl shop, hairdressers, chemist and a couple of restaurants. Just try and make sure you buy an actual 'brick and tile' house as there were a number of houses built with polystyrene blocks that have problems (not all). Let me know what you find and I'll be able to help you. I've attached a house for sale in Toogoom currently at $305K - only one street from beach.

If you're mad keen to be in Hervey Bay itself (Toogoom is only a 15 minute drive) then look at suburbs like Eli Waters which is also still very affordable. 

Toogoom House.jpg

Thanks, I searched on 4655 postcode, which brings those suburbs in. Feel a bit of an idiot as I put min price of $450 to see some the wife might like. Quite a few under $400k. Course I want the quaint beach pad with ” character” - dreaming again ! 

As I am getting older, you mentioned lots of oldies, is healthcare well provided for? bulk billing easy to get? public hospitals? Not ill or anything, but broke my foot this weekend, brings it into focus, especially bill free treatment and follow up care!

Hervey Bay now has some of the best health care facilities in any regional centre in Australia and all very central. We have most medical services here including a massive private hospital (St Stephen's). Retirement villages galore and medical homes for the infirm.

Dundowran Beach is considered one of the best suburbs and is where the 'money is' although Julie Street is set back from that a bit. 10 minutes drive to town. The three outlying suburbs (which are rapidly becoming part of HB) are, in order, Dundowran, Craignish, Toogoom and Burrum Heads.

You won't go wrong.

5 minutes ago, BobHatton said:

PS $450k would get you a LOT of house in Hervey Bay including beachside in places.

thanks Bob

I can see how far money can go and some really nice houses are out there.

All going into the big melting pot for consideration. Looks like rather than retirement slowing things down, there are some major decisions to be made.

• 4 weeks later...

@belter, I think a lot of people make the mistake of thinking there's no jobs outside the capital cities.   It's not true - it would be like saying you've got to live in London or Glasgow to get a job in the UK. There are people in Canterbury and Exeter and Stirling who find work, so why not in a regional Australian city?  It does depend what you do for a living - the big corporate jobs are in the capitals, but other occupations can be in demand elsewhere too. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As others have stated; there are jobs EVERYWHERE, you've just got to try that bit harder to find them and be prepared to take your 'not ideal' job first to get into the marketplace. We moved to Hervey Bay back in January 2006 and people we met then said 'there's no jobs here you know'. Within 2 weeks we both had full time jobs. Be prepared to do the hard yards first to live in Paradise!

• Like 1