UK Accountant recommendation for UK rental property tax returns

KatCairns

1 hour ago, KatCairns said:

Hi!

Can anyone recommend a UK accountant to contact to do UK tax returns (non resident) for UK rental property? (formerly my principle place of residence)

Thank you to anyone who can help 🙂

That's what we do.

Feel able to send a PM to me - click on my name to the left of this post and then Message.

Best regards.

I would add that it's not as simple as finding a UK accountant to do your UK tax return and then finding an Australian one to do the Aussie one.   Everything's interconnected, so you need someone who understands both tax systems (like Alan above).  Otherwise you could end up paying more tax than you should.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/11/2019 at 16:22, Marisawright said:

I would add that it's not as simple as finding a UK accountant to do your UK tax return and then finding an Australian one to do the Aussie one. 

I've done my last few UK annual tax returns so while I agree its important the Oz accountant knows how to deal with foreign income, for simple and straight-forward financial structures, why is the UK accountant required to know about the Australian tax system? I am in the exact same position as the OP. but for my next UK submission involving CGT, I was intending to make it easier on myself by using a Scottish based accountant.

If you are residing in Australia it is probably less important for the UK accountant to know about the Australian tax position than it is for the Aus accountant to know about the UK tax position.

Make sure that whoever you use in the UK is across the situation for non UK residents.   Not all are.

Also some would say (hopefully not only me!) that using the same accountant for your UK and Aus tax returns is easier for you than appointing separate accountants, one of whom is in a significantly different time zone, and who may not even talk to each other.

Best regards.

13 hours ago, le petit roi said:

I've done my last few UK annual tax returns so while I agree its important the Oz accountant knows how to deal with foreign income, for simple and straight-forward financial structures, why is the UK accountant required to know about the Australian tax system? I am in the exact same position as the OP. but for my next UK submission involving CGT, I was intending to make it easier on myself by using a Scottish based accountant.

How would that make it easier on yourself?   I haven't tested it myself, but I can't see how it would be any easier - and I'd have thought appointing two separate accountants would be more expensive.

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

How would that make it easier on yourself?   I haven't tested it myself, but I can't see how it would be any easier - and I'd have thought appointing two separate accountants would be more expensive.

Easier as in I wouldn't be doing it myself to have to assess any potential CGT for the UK property. Uncomplicated tax returns are easy to do yourself but throw in CGT from property and shares and it gets a bit more complex - which will be the case for me this year. Getting it wrong could be expensive.

You raise cost benefits of using a single accountant as opposed to two single ones. In response, I once used GMTax for Uk and Oz tax in the same year and were expensive for very two straight-forward submissions. Not only were there no savings, that whole experience was enough to encourage me to investigate doing my own tax submissions.

Edited by le petit roi

1 minute ago, le petit roi said:

Easier as in I wouldn't be doing it myself to have to assess any potential CGT for the UK property. Uncomplicated tax returns are easy to do yourself but throw in CGT from property and shares and it gets a bit more complex - which will be the case for me this year. Getting it wrong could be expensive.

You raise cost benefits of using a single accountant as opposed to two single ones. In response, I once used GMTax for Uk and Oz tax in the same year and they were expensive for very two straight-forward submissions. I wouldn't use them again - and not only on cost. I didn't save anything, it didn't make my life any easier and it still required a great deal of effort on my behalf to prepare the submission and liaise. The experience was enough to encourage me to investigate doing my own tax submissions.

In case of interest, I've not been at GM Tax for over 2 years

You are very welcome to ping a PM to me with a view to having a freebie chat.

Best regards.

12 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

In case of interest, I've not been at GM Tax for over 2 years

You are very welcome to ping a PM to me with a view to having a freebie chat.

Best regards.

I understand that and I can see my initial post may be construed as 'having a pop' (hence I edited it immediately). Perhaps my experience was a 'one off' bad one but its the only one I have of using a single accountant for Uk and Aus tax.

Edited by le petit roi
  • Like 1