189 - Two Teachers

Dean0703

I've never post here so welcome to the first ramble, likely of many. Points make prizes, and at the minute we come out at 80. Whilst 65 is the minimum, I'm thinking 80 may never be enough.

I am in the middle of preparing all the a person form AITSL and a man going for the English test, which I find hilarious and am trying to use big words more.

I teach secondary which is on the 189 list and whilst my wife is a Primary School Teacher, due to the qualification here she would qualify in terms of skills as an Early Childhood Teacher due to the age range of the children she had to work with in her training.

Questions: 

• Do we require a skilled employment statement from AITSL at an additional $228 each for the EOI. I am the main applicant with claimed points for skilled employment but it's unclear to me if I need this document prepared by them, which is essentially my sending a letter from my own Headteacher.
  • How many points do we need? At the moment we have 80, this will go up to a peak of 85 with service points, but then will quickly go down due to losing 8 points. I've found this ISCAH website with their estimates and I'm calling them prophets of doom - it just seems that the points need for immigration goes up every time and that basically anyone with under 90 can forget it, if their statistics are to be believed.

That's a big ramble from me but I'm not going to get a Doctorate or qualify as an Interpreter to gain points that I'll lose as I age naturally!

TIA

I know many native speakers find the concept of having to do an English test strange/amusing, but my advice is still to prepare thoroughly, as it is very easy to trip up on one of the sections if you do not know what they are looking for. And many people do!

It is unclear from your post if your wife has done a skills assessment - this can get you extra points now. 

1 hour ago, Dean0703 said:

I've never post here so welcome to the first ramble, likely of many. Points make prizes, and at the minute we come out at 80. Whilst 65 is the minimum, I'm thinking 80 may never be enough....

I've found this ISCAH website with their estimates and I'm calling them prophets of doom - it just seems that the points need for immigration goes up every time and that basically anyone with under 90 can forget it, if their statistics are to be believed.

Those aren't statistics, they're an educated guess by one migration agent, so don't lose hope.   It's true the points for pro rata occupations are sky-rocketing but that's hardly surprising - they're pro rata because there's such  a good supply of qualified people already in Australia in those disciplines.     The only reason they're still on the list is that Australia still needs candidates at the most senior levels. 

The bottom line is that if you really want to move to Australia, apply now.   If that website is right, your chances may be borderline - but it's the best chance you're ever going to get, because in six months or a year's time, you can guarantee the points threshold will be even higher.    

For most of its history, Australia has been short of people and has had a booming economy, so it has been eager to attract new migrants.  Now, there's a strong feeling in Liberal (equivalent to UK Conservative) politics that Australia's cities are "full" and migration is making things worse, not better. That's driven by an unemployment rate that's about the same as the UK and an economy that's flagging.   It's not a view that all Australians agree with, but the Liberals are in government. and it's unlikely that will change for some time.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

We are putting both skills assessments in at the same time so she should receive skill points if the AITSL criteria as written is accurate. It's the best way to spend £1000, however I'm not worried about that and I am doing it.

Indeed, it's only going to get harder, had I entered teaching 14 months earlier I'd have five more experience points as I sit here just now, however, I don't. 

If 80 points at the moment, and 85 for a period of 5.5 months during the validity of the EOI isn't enough then I don't know what is. I've worked out all the points possible inside the period and that's the limit.

Also, I don't intend to sell my house and move 10k miles away on a provisional visa that costs me the same money but is by no means permanent or guaranteed to become permanent when it's 5 years runs out.

Re 190 option - each state has very different criterion - some require you to already be there and working at least a year before you can apply, others say no, others are regional provisional 491 only, some haven't declared.

Certainly when I submit the EOI (by the end of January 2020) I'll be covering as many visa bases as possible.

Input all gratefully received so far! 

4 hours ago, Dean0703 said:

Also, I don't intend to sell my house and move 10k miles away on a provisional visa that costs me the same money but is by no means permanent or guaranteed to become permanent when it's 5 years runs out.

What visa are you referring to?  There  isn't  a temporary or provisional five year visa.  

I’m referring to the 491 as I think it’s now known which has (Provisional) next to it. The immi website states that it is “a provisional visa” that allows you to “stay in Australia for 5 years, live, work and study in a designated regional area of Australia.” 

It costs $4,045 same as a 189. 

4 hours ago, Dean0703 said:

Is that standard that if you fulfil the provisional requirement for however many years they tell you that you have to you can automatically apply and achieve a permanent residency? 

For the 491, yes, that's the idea.   It's true that the rules can change, but since the whole aim of the 491 is to build the permanent population of regional areas, you'd think it would be unlikely that they'd change the rules.  The 491 exists because they got fed up of people getting a permanent visa on the promise of settling in a regional area, and then buggering off to the city as soon as they'd done their two years. By making you stay in a regional location for four years, they're hoping you'll feel part of the community by then, and won't want to move to the city.  

Most other temp visas (e.g. employer-sponsored) are designed in the expectation that you'll fill a short-term skill shortage and then go back to your home country - they do begrudgingly offer the possibility of moving on to a permanent visa but it has become harder and harder to do over time, and is likely to get worse in the future.

It's true that living on a 491 is not easy because you're not a legal resident and that can have consequences depending which state you're in (FIRB and high stamp duty for instance).  

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Dean0703 said:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/working-in-australia/skillselect/invitation-rounds

Not up there yet but there you go - 95? On a “pass rate” of 65. It’s a competition right enough. I could go get a PHD, train as an interpreter, and gain more years experience. Still wouldn’t make 95 points as I’d lose them for age. 

The publish takes a while to update.. there’s another forum where individuals physically copy their Invitations down for people to see.. only 95/100 got invited. 

Same mate.. I’d never get to 95. I think it’s the end of 189 

I am sure I said that the end of walking in to Australia and going where you want was in the post either to you or on a forum post. Hardly anyone scores that highly. 

The end of the 190 will be at its back and everyone entering Australia will be on a provisional - end of. That’s what’s coming. 

It will all depend on how many they actually invited, often in December they have offered less places than they do in most other months.

If they only gave out 50 invites then it would need 95+ but if they gave out 2000 I'd imagine it would be a lot less.

Ultimately though I think the days of a totally unconditional visa are numbered and they will focus on the provisional to permanent in future (just my view)