Best locations for young families

Summer 213

Unless  you or your partner have very well-paying jobs, I would avoid Sydney now.  Sydney has a great lifestyle if you can afford to live near the beaches or in the inner ring, but house prices in all the nice areas have really sky-rocketed.     

We're living in Melbourne now because we moved over to the UK and by the time we came back, we couldn't afford Sydney at all. The two-bedroom strata townhouse we sold for $640,000 would cost us $1.2 million to buy now - and it's not even in a swanky area (near Hurstville).  

According to the statistics, house prices in Brisbane are currently half the price of Sydney.   However, depending on what you do for a living, don't dismiss Newcastle, which gives you easy access to Sydney, gorgeous beaches, wineries on your doorstep, and it's great for young families.

On 28/12/2019 at 09:40, Summer 213 said:

I just wondered if anyone was able to recommend any suburbs in Brisbane or Sydney that are good for young families (our daughter is nearly 2).

Hello

In Sydney:

Berowra or Berowra Heights are lovely areas, and classed as a very safe area to bring up children - crime is virtually non-existent.

Good kindy and schools in suburb, and within 15 minutes on train.

A good community for adults too - supermarket, newsagent, bank, gourmet food market, pub, cafe, restaurants, churches, but in a compacted "village" feel

And within commuting distance to the Sydney CBD by train or car

Cheaper than the Northern Beaches for renting and buying

Within an hours drive of several beaches.

That is my top pick