Where do Poms go to look for work?

hawkmoon1704

When we moved we waited until we got to Australia before getting work. I now have UK friends asking where they should search for job adverts. My initial advice is to check the obvious Seek, Indeed and Apply Direct. These do come up with some leads but I think when companies see the applicant is still in the UK it puts them off.

So, are there any other ways people can secure work in Australia while still in the UK?

My friends are two electricians and a mechanical fitter all in their 20's (we can assume they are skills tested or will retrain to Aussie standards on arrival).

P.S I have another friend that is migrating with an agent but these guys are massive and they are setting him and his family up with a rental, TFN, Medicare (once landed an agent comes around with paperwork and arranges appointments to get this stuff done.....at a price...most of us had to find our own way but for free) and even have secured 6 months work for him on arrival!  ……..some good work being done out there.

Facebook seems to have quite a few job site pages, you could search what pages there are in the areas your interested in. You do tend to find lots of the smaller companys advertise in local papers so try to access those on line if possible too.

I do agree with Starlight word of mouth is a big way in to places, so once here get out there and visit company' s to sell yourself.

Cal x

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hawkmoon1704 said:

P.S I have another friend that is migrating with an agent but these guys are massive and they are setting him and his family up with a rental, TFN, Medicare (once landed an agent comes around with paperwork and arranges appointments to get this stuff done.....at a price...most of us had to find our own way but for free) and even have secured 6 months work for him on arrival!  ……..some good work being done out there.

The reason I said they had no chance in this particular case is that they're tradesmen.  The skills assessment is just to get the visa, it's got nothing to do with getting their licence to work.   Electricians have to do a TAFE course in Australia first,  and then work as a trades assistant (similar to an apprentice) for several months before they're allowed to work in their own right.  It's not like Australia is desperate for electricians, so why would any company go to the bother of offering them jobs sight unseen,  when they're not even job-ready when they arrive?   I don't know what the licensing requirements are for a fitter so he might be OK.

If they're in their twenties, why don't they just get a Working Holiday Visa, go out to Australia for a year and try their luck? 

I'd love to know who the company is that's offering that service. It sounds like a good idea, but I've heard of companies offering it in the past but they have all turned out to be scammers. 

Edited by Marisawright

• 1 month later...
On 05/01/2020 at 22:15, hawkmoon1704 said:

This may be industry related. 

I'm in healthcare, at a government hospital, and one of my colleagues recently took up the post of assisting foreign employed staff in settling in. 

A handbook was created with input from all prior employed staff's knowledge and a one to two week system was created. They land, are picked up at airport, settled in an AirBnB house, left for a day or two...then its banks, Centrelink, GP registration etc. Then they are shown around one or two suburbs and they can choose their own rental accommodation. 

Airbnb etc is paid for by the staff member. Pick up from airport and initial run abouts are on the hospital in one of the fleet vehicles

• Like 1