Drug and Alcohol certificate

Aussiebird

Is it related to occupational health, y’know testing pilots, train drivers, blokes at CUB brewery to make sure they aren’t off their t**s? 
If it’s required to apply for a job you might need to pay for it prior to applying but employers may well pay for it once in post.Jobadvert usually indicates this.

There’s a certificate for AOD I think but that’s not testing it’s working with them as a person/group.

I used to do blood tests for the booze buses in Vic but that was venepuncture and you had to be a nurse so you’d already have that skill.

38 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

Is it related to occupational health, y’know testing pilots, train drivers, blokes at CUB brewery to make sure they aren’t off their t**s? 
If it’s required to apply for a job you might need to pay for it prior to applying but employers may well pay for it once in post.Jobadvert usually indicates this.

There’s a certificate for AOD I think but that’s not testing it’s working with them as a person/group.

I used to do blood tests for the booze buses in Vic but that was venepuncture and you had to be a nurse so you’d already have that skill.

Thank you Amber Snowball for your reply.  You are correct, it's related to having thjs certificate when working in a blood collection centre.  I used to work for Clinipath when I last lived in Australia and the testing for drug urine was part of our responsibilities, but upon my last visit in September, I was told that a certificate was now required, so it's  all changed!  I emailed a company that I found on the internet and they replied it was $650 for this certificate, but seems as though Employers do not fund this, unless stated in a job description, as you say.  

I might just email a variety of Pathology companies and see what they say.

I'm  still performing blood collecting now and have been for 5 and half years but I am not a nurse as such, I work in a Doctors surgery after leaving working in a hospital doing thr same, so I hope to god that being a qualified nurse is now what you have to be in this job role!!!

I do have admin and clerical skills to but I love what I do and don't want to change, unless absolutely necessary. 

3 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Thank you Amber Snowball for your reply.  You are correct, it's related to having thjs certificate when working in a blood collection centre.  I used to work for Clinipath when I last lived in Australia and the testing for drug urine was part of our responsibilities, but upon my last visit in September, I was told that a certificate was now required, so it's  all changed!  I emailed a company that I found on the internet and they replied it was $650 for this certificate, but seems as though Employers do not fund this, unless stated in a job description, as you say.  

I might just email a variety of Pathology companies and see what they say.

I'm  still performing blood collecting now and have been for 5 and half years but I am not a nurse as such, I work in a Doctors surgery after leaving working in a hospital doing thr same, so I hope to god that being a qualified nurse is now what you have to be in this job role!!!

I do have admin and clerical skills to but I love what I do and don't want to change, unless absolutely necessary. 

So in the pathology collection centres? They aren’t registered nurses, or they weren’t when I left in 2018, so you should be ok. Bit rough $650 to learn how to dip wee!

The D&As we get done cost about $25.  If it's the same sort (blow in the bag, pee in a cup, gives indicative positive / negative for 6 or so drugs) You don't need them to be done in a pathology centre; we use Totally Workwear.  When a non-negative result is found then you go to a path lab where they determine the level of drug in ppm or whatever, that's probably the expensive one.

Edited by Eera

11 hours ago, Eera said:

The D&As we get done cost about $25.  If it's the same sort (blow in the bag, pee in a cup, gives indicative positive / negative for 6 or so drugs) You don't need them to be done in a pathology centre; we use Totally Workwear.  When a non-negative result is found then you go to a path lab where they determine the level of drug in ppm or whatever, that's probably the expensive one.

11 hours ago, Eera said:

Yeah the tests themselves cost very little but aussiebird needs to do the course to perform the tests. Can’t see why it would cost $650. Sounds like a rort!

My bad, I misread that she *needed* to get D&A, rather than needed *training* to perform D&A.

$650 seems to be about the standard; a quick look and you can get various permutations from $500 to $900.  To go back to the question, if you are employed on the grounds that you have certification to undertake the test and it's a condition of your employment, it's your expense.  If you get a job and they then ask you to do the training to extend your areas of work, generally it would be your employer's expense.

As an analogy, we employ people on the grounds that they have X qualification, if they don't, we aren't going to pay for it.  Once they have fulfilled that requirement any additional training they need to perform the work we require of them, we pay for.

• Like 1