Question about Australian partner status

LisaB1980

Hello, I am in the process of doing an application for an off shore partner visa.  My other half is Australian born but was adopted by a UK couple who subsequently returned to the UK with him when he was very young.  He still has and uses his Australian passport, has his original birth certificate (with birth mum/dad details and location as Subiaco in Perth, born in 1974) and all of his adoption paperwork from the Western Australia adoption agency.  My partner has therefore never lived or worked in Australia and wouldn't be identified on tax or social security records there - could this be an issue? 

We will obviously explain everything in the application and include his adoption details and birth certificate in the application too. We have been together for almost 8 years so have no problem with evidence of our relationship, but wondering if this could be a hurdle.  My partner is in touch with his birth family in Perth and we have visited and stayed with them several times.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

If he's an Australian citizen with an Australian passport then I don't see why there would be any problem. 

The waiting time for a partner visa is long (over a year), but if you're not in a hurry to get to Australia, I would apply from the UK.  I say that because in the UK, you can just get on with your lives as normal until the approval comes through.   Whereas if you move to Australia and then apply, you'll be on a bridging visa while you wait, and that can make it harder to find work.  

Edited by Marisawright