Visa options ... confused

Spayne81

Hi this is my first post and I’m sorry if it’s been asked or I’m being silly 

basically we were applying to move to SA on a skills PV ( my husband is a chef) and the visa agency have just told us as we were finishing off that this is not available and nor is the temp 491 SA visa  and our only option it to live to Victoria 

is this true, is there any other option as we really wanted to be in Adelaide near my family ( I’m not the main applicant so can’t use them) 

thank you in advance 

2 hours ago, Spayne81 said:

We were applying to move to SA on a skills PV ( my husband is a chef) and the visa agency have just told us as we were finishing off that this is not available and nor is the temp 491 SA visa  and our only option it to live to Victoria 

is this true, is there any other option as we really wanted to be in Adelaide near my family ( I’m not the main applicant so can’t use them) 

Each state decides what occupations it wants, and they can put extra conditions on it, too. 

What visa agency are you using and are you dealing with a consultant who is MARA registered? Unfortunately there are quite a few unregistered agencies out there and they do sometimes give misleading advice.  

Chef is available for sponsorship in NSW, VIC, TAS and NT

It's also available as a 189 visa - but I'm guessing you want/need the extra sponsorship points

The 190 program for QLD is in "suspense" and has been since Nov 2019 so if you are applying for a 190 I'd be asking your agent why it took until March for them to tell you this.

If you are applying for a 491 that is still open - however chef is one of those that has additional requirements

"Require 70 points; Require minimum post-qualification work experience of 5 years – 190 OR Require minimum post-qualification work experience of 3 years – 491 – must have 5 STAR Hotel experience or high-end restaurant experience"

Again though these have been in place for months (since July) so again I'd be asking why they didn't tell you that you couldn't get it earlier than now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Spayne81 said:

Thanks guys yeah we are with an agency already 

Your agent should be Mara registered, this ensures they are properly qualified to give professional migration advice, and carries credibility as far as the role is concerned. 
It sounds as though you have not had good advice so far if you are needing to ask your questions on a public forum.

Good luck 

Thanks @Ausvisitor yes it’s frustrating as they knew we were applying in south Australia for PR and then this happened 

he has the 65 points we were told required but now the sad change , i‘M wondering do we go to Victoria and suck it up being away from my family I’m Adelaide for two years or wait till July and see if anything changes 

1 hour ago, Spayne81 said:

he has the 65 points we were told required but now the sad change , i‘M wondering do we go to Victoria and suck it up being away from my family I’m Adelaide for two years or wait till July and see if anything changes 

It sounds as though you've been dreadfully misinformed.

You cannot apply for a visa unless you have at least 65 points - BUT it's not a queue, it's a competitive process.  Only the people with the highest points get chosen, and there are huge numbers of people applying with 70, 80 and even 90+ points.  People with 65 points generally don't stand a snowball's chance of getting a visa, even if your occupation is on the list and you have all the qualifications and experience required. 

That has been the case for some years now and it's likely to get worse, not better.  Australia is not crying out for migrants any more - there are plenty of local candidates for most jobs, so every year they take more occupations off the list.

I suggest you contact Westly Russell, who posted above (click on the link in his signature to get all his details) and ask him to run through your case, and give you an honest opinion what your chances are.

Edited by Marisawright

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, wrussell said:

I left my honest opinions in my other suit.

Never trust a man who owns more than one suit,

Being a management consultant that lives in a suit I own 15 of the things (and am on an active purge - it was many more)

I guess I've got a long way to go before being trustable then 😁