Visa activation date Vs Coronavirus travel ban

Raye

Hi,

Has anyone had any solid information from department of home affairs regarding not being able to activate visas due to the travel restrictions connected to the coronavirus? 

Holders of Granted visas - can you still enter as long as flights are available? To activate? 

Are extensions to activation dates given as these as extenuating circumstances? 

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Raye said:

Hi,

Has anyone had any solid information from department of home affairs regarding not being able to activate visas due to the travel restrictions connected to the coronavirus? 

Holders of Granted visas - can you still enter as long as flights are available? To activate? 

Thanks in advance

Yes, Home Affairs have updated their advice: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/news-media/current-alerts/novel-coronavirus

If you are a temporary visa holder you will be refused entry.  You must seek a new visa when travel restrictions get lifted.

If you are a permanent visa holder you should not travel unless it is essential.  If you miss your IED then you should contact the departmental office that granted you the visa after travel restrictions have been lifted.  If you cannot avoid travel then you must self isolate for 14 days on arrival.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kimboslice said:

It is a temporary visa until you earn the required amount for 3 years, if you achieve this then you get residency 

NO, it is not a temporary visa. It is a PROVISIONAL visa. That's an important difference, so it's important to use the correct terminology.    I don't think there has been any announcement about them yet.

7 hours ago, Raye said:

The information is that if you have a PR visa (i.e. 189 or 190) you can enter the country, even if it's not activated already.  However they don't want you to visit just to activate - write to apply for an extension instead, when you're ready to travel.

Like I said, under normal circumstances, the 489 and 491 visas are not regarded as temporary, they are "provisional".   However there's been no information on provisional visas at all.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

NO, it is not a temporary visa. It is a PROVISIONAL visa. That's an important difference, so it's important to use the correct terminology.    I don't think there has been any announcement about them yet.

My apologies, provisional it is.

The point I was trying to make is that it is not permanent, and I think that is what they were asking.

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The information is that if you have a PR visa (i.e. 189 or 190) you can enter the country, even if it's not activated already.  However they don't want you to visit just to activate - write to apply for an extension instead, when you're ready to travel.

Like I said, under normal circumstances, the 489 and 491 visas are not regarded as temporary, they are "provisional".   However there's been no information on provisional visas at all.

@paulhand  provided info in another thread that visas are being viewed as either temporary or permanent. So if it isn't a PR visa, one falls into the temporary bracket. 

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/210230-borders-closed-to-all-non-permanent-residents-or-citizens/

Edited by Nemesis