Received partner visa (PR) and now spouse wants a divorce

EdAndCass

Hi all, 

I'm going through a very stressful time at the moment in my personal life when it should be a happy one. (Let's not talk about the global situation right now). So earlier this month, I was granted the second stage of my partner visa (801) and so I now have PR. My wife has then dropped the bombshell that she now wants a divorce. 

Obviously, its good that she has waited until after being granted PR which I believe means that our relationship status is now irrelevant for my remaining within Australia. Is that the case? Also, are there any other considerations I should be aware of?

Cheers

On 01/04/2020 at 03:12, rabi said:

Its my question too. I think PR gonna be safe. For getting divorce, you need to be separated for at least 1 year. PR gonna be expired after 5 years. what documents will be needed at the time of renew?

PR never expires, hence the P.  However the travel rights do - you then need to either apply for citizenship or apply for a resident return visa to re-enter Australia.  

5 minutes ago, EdAndCass said:

Thanks all, appreciate the responses. I was aware that the PR was permanent now, but I wanted to make sure that there wasn't something else I should be aware of for later. Just a pretty crap scenario all round to be honest. cheers

Indeed.  Moving countries is one of the most stressful things you can do, and it breaks up relationships more often than most people realise.