Where do we start?

Bumpkin

Not even sure if this is in the correct place,,,but here we go!!

Hi Everyone,

My husband, son and I are looking into the possibility to re-locate to Oz (possibly Melbourne but not definate) We are sadly over the age to just apply for a normal visa.  I have my own business in the UK which is a Massage, Beauty & Nails salon. I have 18 yrs experience. I would want to re-open my business in Oz and have staff and wondered if this is possible? Would we be able to get a visa to do this? Am i asking completely silly questions??? 

Where do we start? If anyone can point us in the right direction to try to work out these answers that would be great. Any links to pages would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks so much for reading this far........stay safe!

D & D

The other thing to scope out is business viability.  I think even more than in UK, the market is pretty much dominated by East Asians and there are salons on every corner so it might be a stretch to get a business up and running at the level required for the visa. It needs a very large sum of money and at the beginning I believe it is provisional so you have to keep the business running at that level for several years before the possibility of it becoming permanent.  An agent is definitely the way to go but I wouldnt be taking bets on it being successful.

39 minutes ago, Quoll said:

The other thing to scope out is business viability.  I think even more than in UK, the market is pretty much dominated by East Asians and there are salons on every corner so it might be a stretch to get a business up and running at the level required for the visa. It needs a very large sum of money and at the beginning I believe it is provisional so you have to keep the business running at that level for several years before the possibility of it becoming permanent.  An agent is definitely the way to go but I wouldnt be taking bets on it being successful.

Even here in Tasmania 99% of the salons are run by East Asians.  In our (not terribly large) town there are 4 nail salons and 6 massage places.

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

The other thing to scope out is business viability.  I think even more than in UK, the market is pretty much dominated by East Asians and there are salons on every corner 

That is a very good point.  The Asian salons can offer cheap prices because they are often employing students or possibly even illegal immigrants so their wages are low.

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Even here in Tasmania 99% of the salons are run by East Asians.  In our (not terribly large) town there are 4 nail salons and 6 massage places.

There are also 10 beauty salons in our town apart from the nail salons who also do nails and there are loads of hairdressers.