Have Skilled Independent 189 with dependent family, want citizenship

bolus

Hi, my family (me, wife, young kids) have lived in Australia for 5 years under my Skilled Independent 189 visa, with PR. 

We want to apply for citizenship. Looking at the immi website, my wife and I need to apply separately. Is this correct please?

Are there any pros / cons of the kids going on my citizenship application or my wife's, and is the order of application important? It just struck me that if I get citizenship before my wife, is my / our Skilled 189 still valid for the rest of the family?

All the best, and thanks for any help. B.

Edited by bolus

Hi, thanks. I saw there was an option to attend the same ceremony as someone else. 

So my wife and I still have to do separate applications, but linking the ceremonies makes them go through at the same time?

Thanks, B.

Yes, once you got the grant for your 189 you are essentially separate people for immigration reasons. One of you could get citizenship, the other might decide to wait, so long as they don't leave the country (or if they do they have a valid Resident Return Visa) they stay as 189 for life (or until they become a citizen or leave Oz without a valid RRV)

• Like 1