How long does it take to get my ability evaluated

Emmer

As you saw from my last post there was a chance that because of my birthday I Would have to repeat a year of school. However I have several family members who are teachers and they said that the school would assess my ability and they decide if I should repeat a year or not. They were all unsure how long it would take to assess my ability. Anyone ever been in this situation?

11 hours ago, Emmer said:

As you saw from my last post there was a chance that because of my birthday I Would have to repeat a year of school. However I have several family members who are teachers and they said that the school would assess my ability and they decide if I should repeat a year or not. They were all unsure how long it would take to assess my ability. Anyone ever been in this situation?

You would need to ask the school that you're going to, my assumption is that it will be the school doing the assessment.  From your previous post, you already have a chosen school - it would be best for your parents to contact them and ask them the question directly.

9 hours ago, ali said:

You would need to ask the school that you're going to, my assumption is that it will be the school doing the assessment.  From your previous post, you already have a chosen school - it would be best for your parents to contact them and ask them the question directly.

The school won’t Normally  talk to you unless you are already in the zone. 

37 minutes ago, Emmer said:

The school won’t Normally  talk to you unless you are already in the zone. 

In that case it looks like you will have to wait until you are in Australia before any decisions can be made with regard to your schooling.  I don't think any of us here can help you further.

Oh dear, you really are hung up on accelerating, aren’t you.  If you want to arrive with all your ducks in a row, get your parents to engage an educational psychologist and have a full psycho educational assessment including IQ, across the board skill levels, social and emotional development and adaptive behaviour.  If you get it done in Australia, they’ll probably be more aware of what the department will require specifically and it’d just be a matter of making an appointment and spending a couple of thousand dollars. But Victoria is a very egalitarian state and believes that individual needs can be met within the classroom so it’s anybody’s guess whether they will let you accelerate or not. Don’t think you’ll be the only bright child in your class.   You keep talking about repeating but you won’t be repeating, you’ve not done the Australian curriculum at that year level. 

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 4

Also it is not a full year behind.  The school year here starts in Jan/feb so only six months to catch up with a new curriculum.  In my experience it is far better to be with your age cohort if possible.  As long as the school can cater for differing abilities and will stretch you don’t get too hung up on year group, they are different here.  
I speak as a mum of two boys who moved to Australia and had to “repeat” party of a year.  Gave them time to settle and get used to the new curriculum, they had never done Asian studies or German before for instance. Never caused them a problem and one is now a researcher and lecturer at ANU.

The only thing they moaned about was the school uniform! If you are not used to a uniform or had a standard basic one in UK then be prepared for a pretty old fashioned one here, especially in the posher schools!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Also it is not a full year behind.  The school year here starts in Jan/feb so only six months to catch up with a new curriculum.  In my experience it is far better to be with your age cohort if possible.  As long as the school can cater for differing abilities and will stretch you don’t get too hung up on year group, they are different here.  
I speak as a mum of two boys who moved to Australia and had to “repeat” party of a year.  Gave them time to settle and get used to the new curriculum, they had never done Asian studies or German before for instance. Never caused them a problem and one is now a researcher and lecturer at ANU.

The only thing they moaned about was the school uniform! If you are not used to a uniform or had a standard basic one in UK then be prepared for a pretty old fashioned one here, especially in the posher schools!

I will go from the start of year 10 here to the end of year 8 because of my birthday. I don’t mind repeating a few months because that will give me time to settle in. Even though it’s a new curriculum it is only the 9th year of schooling when in the uk it will be my 10th if we all started school in jan/ feb time.

Edited by Emmer

15 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Did your children find the year they were put in about right? 

Overall yes they did.  They were ahead in some things but behind in others. New subject areas and other new things to get used to. They were with age peer group. You will need to talk to schools regarding birthday. If you are on the cusp then often a decision can be made either way when you are joining an older cohort from overseas. Kids here often move interstate and have to adjust as the systems are not the same in every state. Don’t get too stressed about it. 

11 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Overall yes they did.  They were ahead in some things but behind in others. New subject areas and other new things to get used to. They were with age peer group. You will need to talk to schools regarding birthday. If you are on the cusp then often a decision can be made either way when you are joining an older cohort from overseas. Kids here often move interstate and have to adjust as the systems are not the same in every state. Don’t get too stressed about it. 

Ok thankyou