Leaving Australia while visa still processing

Compass

Hi All, please if anyone can help..I am quite panicked. My partner (UK) traveled to visit me in early February (I am Au citizen and British expat)..He arrived on Tourist visa 601. When COVID hit, he decided to remain with me here. During this time he applied for visa 600 and was granted Bridging visa A. Due to family emergency he has now had to go back to UK. I realise that the bridging visa A does not allow reentry to Australia, but my question is : will his application for a new tourist visa 600 be automatically cancelled since he has now left Australia while the visa is still being processed? Feeling very anxious. Thank you for any help and advice. 

Thank you for replying Verystormy, I appreciate it very much. So when he put in his application and went for a medical and was put on a bridging visa B, the immigration department knew that the application wouldn’t be processed? This seems very odd as they accepted the application fee which was over $300 and that the medical fee which was similar. He received all of the receipts and reference number for the application and spoke to them over the phone..so what happens to that application now? 

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

Unfortunately he's left the country so his application has now ceased.  He's not likely to get back in and really should talk to an agent.

The application hasn’t ceased, but it is likely to be refused soon, as he is now offshore. The OP should withdraw the application to avoid a refusal on their immigration record. As the partner of an Australian citizen, they can apply for an exemption to renter, but will need a new offshore visitor visa application as well.

2 hours ago, Compass said:

This seems very odd as they accepted the application fee which was over $300 and that the medical fee which was similar. He received all of the receipts and reference number for the application and spoke to them over the phone..so what happens to that application now? 

It is an application fee, not a grant fee and, to be fair he got to stay legally on the bridging visa and would have been granted the visitor visa had he stayed longer..  The application should now be withdrawn before it is refused; its very unlikely that a refund would be forthcoming  

• Like 2

Thank you for all of the replies, I really appreciate it. I know that the fee is the application and while we are not well off, at the moment the money is the last thing I am worried about. I have just been getting myself into such a state over it a d ended up calling home affairs..they said what paulhand has written : they will not approve the application now that he is offshore. So unfortunately it looks like we will be separated for the remainder of the border closure. Am just gutted. I’m grateful for your replies and wish you all the best. Thanks again. 

13 minutes ago, Compass said:

Thank you for all of the replies, I really appreciate it. I know that the fee is the application and while we are not well off, at the moment the money is the last thing I am worried about. I have just been getting myself into such a state over it a d ended up calling home affairs..they said what paulhand has written : they will not approve the application now that he is offshore. So unfortunately it looks like we will be separated for the remainder of the border closure. Am just gutted. I’m grateful for your replies and wish you all the best. Thanks again. 

He can apply for a new offshore visitor visa and an exemption to travel. Don’t forget to withdraw the current application. 

Can you tell me whether it is possible to submit an application for an exemption to travel at the same time as applying for a new tourist visa, or would I need to apply wait for a new (offshore) tourist visa to be approved beforehand? 

On 17/07/2020 at 08:58, Compass said:

Can you tell me whether it is possible to submit an application for an exemption to travel at the same time as applying for a new tourist visa, or would I need to apply wait for a new (offshore) tourist visa to be approved beforehand? 

Run them in parallel.