SEN Teacher looking to relocate to Australia

Rmoody30

Hello Everyone! 

I am looking to move to Australia with my young family as an SEN Teacher. I'm just lookimg for some advice as I am reading alot of conflicting advice on forums / internet about the requirements for this, and I can only seem to find old threads. (So apologies if this is repeated!) We even paid for a immigration agent, but they wasn't too helpful either

I am currently a teacher in a SEN School, but only hold QTS. So I am doing my masters in.September in Special educational needs and disability, and will graduate next July. 

Then i will have a 3 year bachelor degree (in media) and 1 year post grad in Special needs. 
I realise my Schools Direct training is redundant to this. 
Would i qualify to teach based on these qualifications?

I have been a qualified teacher for 6 years now aswell. 

Any help, advice or success stories will be greatly recieved! 
Thanks so much in advance!! 

42 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Will your fourth year have a decent amount of supervised teaching practice?

Hello! 

Thanks for reply. 

Just double checked, I have to have at least 100 hours of work based experience whilst completing the course. Will that suffice?

Thanks again 🙂

The requirement is 45 days of supervised teaching practice under the auspices of a University - so 45x5 (assuming a 5 hour day) is going to be around 225 hours so you are probably going to be short there.  They will require a transcript which details the number of days in the classroom.

2 hours ago, Quoll said:

The requirement is 45 days of supervised teaching practice under the auspices of a University - so 45x5 (assuming a 5 hour day) is going to be around 225 hours so you are probably going to be short there.  They will require a transcript which details the number of days in the classroom.

Ill be doing more as its my job aswell. So could see if they could adapt transcript to the actual days done. 

Its so hard isn't it! Have you moved there? X

1 hour ago, Rmoody30 said:

Ill be doing more as its my job aswell. So could see if they could adapt transcript to the actual days done. 

Its so hard isn't it! Have you moved there? X

I live in Australia.

Is your Masters not full time? because that is also a factor in the fourth year requirement.  Also, any experience before the qualification wont be counted. You wont be being supervised when you do your regular job either so it would be hard for them to issue a transcript that that was supervised practice.

13 hours ago, Quoll said:

I live in Australia.

Is your Masters not full time? because that is also a factor in the fourth year requirement.  Also, any experience before the qualification wont be counted. You wont be being supervised when you do your regular job either so it would be hard for them to issue a transcript that that was supervised practice.

Hello, 

Yes masters is one year full time. I am working part time, as cant afford not to tbh. 

Ok, is it completely hopeless then, or is there a way? 

Ah thats amazing! What job do you do? 🙂

1 hour ago, Rmoody30 said:

Hello, 

Yes masters is one year full time. I am working part time, as cant afford not to tbh. 

Ok, is it completely hopeless then, or is there a way? 

Ah thats amazing! What job do you do? 🙂

Speak to a good registered migration agent to see if there are any options

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Speak to a good registered migration agent to see if there are any options

Thanks for message. 

Can.you recommend any? 

We used one, he cost £60 for 30minutes and wasnt any help at all. Just sent me a generic requirement list whilst on phone call. So hesitant to use them again. 

Many thanks,

Rochesca

There are several agents on here who are good and reliable.

Teaching is tricky because there are national requirements for registration - you can see them on the Vic site here https://www.vit.vic.edu.au/registering-as-a-teacher/how-do-i-register-as-a-teacher/qualifications/qualifications-policy and the 45 days supervised practice is universal for that fourth year - no matter how long you have been teaching as a Teacher Direct trained teacher. There isnt much way round it unfortunately - they ask for transcripts of every little thing you do in your course.

16 hours ago, Rmoody30 said:

Thanks for message. 

Can.you recommend any? 

We used one, he cost £60 for 30minutes and wasnt any help at all. Just sent me a generic requirement list whilst on phone call. So hesitant to use them again. 

Many thanks,

Rochesca

One of our regular members is wrussel who can be contacted here https://www.pinoyau.com

The first step is the AITSL skills assessment requirements:

“Completion of a minimum of four years full-time (or part-time equivalent) higher education (university) level study that results in qualification/s. This must include a relevant initial teacher education qualification and can include other qualifications.

Initial teacher education qualification requirement
The study must include an initial teacher education qualification comparable to the educational level of an Australian Bachelor degree (Australian Qualifications Framework Level 7) or higher, which includes:
i) at least one year full-time (or part-time equivalent) higher education (university) level study of initial teacher education
ii) completion of at least 45 days of supervised teaching practice with students in a school setting.

The study must include one year full-time (or part-time equivalent) study of special needs resulting in award of a qualification comparable to the educational level of an Australian Bachelor degree (Australian Qualifications Framework 7) or higher.
If this study is a component of the initial teacher education qualification then the supervised teaching practice must be completed in a special needs setting.”

Based on your comments 45 days supervised teaching practice may be the issue?

Edited by paulhand
  • Like 1