How Long before you realised that Australia was or was not the place that you wanted to spend the rest of your days ?

bug family

22 hours ago, not a hillbilly said:

I really miss the UK & want to go back, Oz has literally nothing for me. But being 66yrs old, financially I most probably can't afford to.  It's really hard to judge the living costs from here

@not a hillbilly, do you know, you're probably closer to affording it now than you were in 1999?   

I wouldn't fret about living costs, except for housing.  When we were there in 2015, some things were more expensive and some things were cheaper (which is why it's so hard to judge), but it was swings and roundabouts.  Over the year we were there, we spent about the same amount of money overall as we did in Australia.  People are complaining about rising cost of living there now, but then so are we!  

Housing is the one thing you need to check on, as it's the one big expense and it varies so much across the country.  If you're willing to live in a cheaper region, that will make a big difference.  Check out the Zoopla and Rightmove websites.

The main reason you'll be better off is pensions.

If you move before you're old enough to claim the Australian state pension, you'll never get it.  

If you move after you start receiving the Australian state pension, you get to keep it, no matter where you move to. And you'll be eligible to claim next year.   Even if you can't get the full amount right now due to assets or income, it means you'll have a safety net for your old age. 

Are you already receiving the UK pension?  You should've started receiving it this year.  If you haven't received anything, chase them up -- they may not have your current address.   The UK pension will reduce the amount of Aussie pension you get, but it's not dollar for dollar.  I think you only lose about 50c of the Aussie pension for every $1 of the British one.

I would also be writing to the UK Pension Centre to see if it's worthwhile topping up your NI contributions.  Because it's not means-tested, you'll get the benefit straight away, unlike the Aussie pension. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

The thing is, most Western developed countries are basketcases to a degree these days, even Australia and Canada. But I don’t let that stop me from making a decision to be where I want to be. There are many factors at play for assessment and evaluation, and at the end of the day, finances and personal needs are the elements steering me in the direction of moving home.

True.  The UK has much more to offer me - country views, art galleries, museums, better medical than here, I guess that Canada has the same kinds of things for Canada2Australia

• Like 1

4 hours ago, not a hillbilly said:

True.  The UK has much more to offer me - country views, art galleries, museums, better medical than here...

If you're thinking about giving it another go, feel free to shoot me any questions about the practicalities of the move. We did it in 2015 (when we were in our 60s).  If you plan to do it after you've claimed your Australian pension, you've got about  a year to get all your ducks in a row and understand how to sort out the bank account etc when you arrive.  The processes are all different there, which is why you felt you were getting the runaround, but It's all doable.

Edited by Marisawright

13 hours ago, not a hillbilly said:

True.  The UK has much more to offer me - country views, art galleries, museums, better medical than here, I guess that Canada has the same kinds of things for Canada2Australia

Pffft….good luck with the medical care……I don’t think there’s much in it between UK/Aus, if anything leaning slightly in Aus favour as long as you’re near a Metro area. All the best with it. 

15 hours ago, Marisawright said:

@not a hillbilly, do you know, you're probably closer to affording it now than you were in 1999?   

I wouldn't fret about living costs, except for housing.  When we were there in 2015, some things were more expensive and some things were cheaper (which is why it's so hard to judge), but it was swings and roundabouts.  Over the year we were there, we spent about the same amount of money overall as we did in Australia.  People are complaining about rising cost of living there now, but then so are we!  

Housing is the one thing you need to check on, as it's the one big expense and it varies so much across the country.  If you're willing to live in a cheaper region, that will make a big difference.  Check out the Zoopla and Rightmove websites.

The main reason you'll be better off is pensions.

If you move before you're old enough to claim the Australian state pension, you'll never get it.  

If you move after you start receiving the Australian state pension, you get to keep it, no matter where you move to. And you'll be eligible to claim next year.   Even if you can't get the full amount right now due to assets or income, it means you'll have a safety net for your old age. 

Are you already receiving the UK pension?  You should've started receiving it this year.  If you haven't received anything, chase them up -- they may not have your current address.   The UK pension will reduce the amount of Aussie pension you get, but it's not dollar for dollar.  I think you only lose about 50c of the Aussie pension for every $1 of the British one.

I would also be writing to the UK Pension Centre to see if it's worthwhile topping up your NI contributions.  Because it's not means-tested, you'll get the benefit straight away, unlike the Aussie pension. 

2015 was a different world in so many ways. Regarding cost of living it has massively increased in the UK but incomes haven’t kept pace at all. Average salary here is approx £30k. This may be the same in Aus, but if you’re saying you found it overall the same or similar then the relatively higher salary in Aus would make it better for working people. Bottom line is times are not easy for many in either country right now. 
Regarding living in a cheaper area I’d be careful - I’m always advising people to try and move to a wealthy pocket if they’re moving back. There are a lot of more working class areas (where the cheaper housing tends to be) that are really suffering right now from run down town centres and bad social issues. 

3 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Pffft….good luck with the medical care……I don’t think there’s much in it between UK/Aus, if anything leaning slightly in Aus favour as long as you’re near a Metro area. All the best with it. 

Echo this , just returned from 5 weeks in uk and it’s a shambles, we had serious thoughts about moving back , 1 week in and it was better off in Australia, better health care at the moment for sure , 3-4 weeks to get doctor appointments , wife’s sister severe heart pain yesterday over an hr wait for ambulance or can get you doctors appointment in 3 weeks 

Don’t even go down the 20 mph limits in wales what a shambles 

one section of road 20-40-30-60-20-40-20 all in about a mile section. You can’t see speed signs as most are grown over with hedge / trees 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Echo this , just returned from 5 weeks in uk and it’s a shambles, we had serious thoughts about moving back , 1 week in and it was better off in Australia, better health care at the moment for sure , 3-4 weeks to get doctor appointments , wife’s sister severe heart pain yesterday over an hr wait for ambulance or can get you doctors appointment in 3 weeks 

Don’t even go down the 20 mph limits in wales what a shambles 

one section of road 20-40-30-60-20-40-20 all in about a mile section. You can’t see speed signs as most are grown over with hedge / trees 

Lol re: signs. Mostly so filthy they are not visible or as you say, so overgrown you can’t see a sign or a verge. 
An hour for an ambulance? That’s amazing. Had to drive my husband in the back of our car with a disc in his back pressing on his spinal cord. It was that or wait 12 - yes 12!! hours on an ambulance for a transfer. Emergency surgery followed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Lol re: signs. Mostly so filthy they are not visible or as you say, so overgrown you can’t see a sign or a verge. 
An hour for an ambulance? That’s amazing. Had to drive my husband in the back of our car with a disc in his back pressing on his spinal cord. It was that or wait 12 - yes 12!! hours on an ambulance for a transfer. Emergency surgery followed. 

I know of a older person locally who was left in the road with broken hip after falling for 12 hrs , no ambulances available 😞

it’s an absolute disgrace what is happening 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

I know of a older person locally who was left in the road with broken hip after falling for 12 hrs , no ambulances available 😞

Yes. It’s truly awful. But you’re not allowed to say it. Not here, not anywhere. Don’t raise an issue, don’t complain, don’t question anything. 🤫

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

That sounds terrible, but did someone really call the ambulance as soon as she fell, and then they waited 12 hours, or was she lying there unnoticed for some of those hours?  

It's happening in Austrlalia too. To quote one of the articles below, "priority patients waiting up to 10 hours for transfer"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-14/woman-died-waiting-for-ambulance-body-left-in-sun-for-hours/100756322

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/sep/15/melbourne-man-dies-after-waiting-four-hours-for-ambulance-paramedics-union-says

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

2015 was a different world in so many ways. Regarding cost of living it has massively increased in the UK but incomes haven’t kept pace at all. Average salary here is approx £30k. This may be the same in Aus, but if you’re saying you found it overall the same or similar then the relatively higher salary in Aus would make it better for working people. Bottom line is times are not easy for many in either country right now. 

However I'm talking to a retired person.

The bottom line is that you're saying to people, "OK I know you're absolutely miserable in Australia because you're yearning to go home and you don't want to die in a foreign land, but you're better off staying depressed and financial in Australia than being happy but broke in the UK".   

I think people in that situation should listen to people like @Amber Snowball or @bug family, as to whether the current situation in the UK is so bad that it outweighs their need to be 'home'.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rallyman said:

What’s funny about someone waiting for 12 hrs BM 😞

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the replies, lots to consider.

Housing will be of most concern, have checked Zoopla & Rightmove but not lately.  Would prefer to be just west of Sheffield due to a good tram museum (Crich) as I am a licensed conductor on a vintage tram here but also need intelligent companionship.  Don't need much medical except pills for my heart but that may well change.  Had a heart attack as no GP would see me (too busy with current patients) & symptoms were mild until #@*^! 😵‍💫.

Will keep looking around Blighty, maybe Wales.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, not a hillbilly said:

Thanks for the replies, lots to consider.

Housing will be of most concern, have checked Zoopla & Rightmove but not lately.  Would prefer to be just west of Sheffield due to a good tram museum (Crich) as I am a licensed conductor on a vintage tram here but also need intelligent companionship.  Don't need much medical except pills for my heart but that may well change.  Had a heart attack as no GP would see me (too busy with current patients) & symptoms were mild until #@*^! 😵‍💫.

Will keep looking around Blighty, maybe Wales.

Jut be careful you're not using housing as an excuse!   But like I said, there's no point moving until you've got the Aussie pension under your belt, so you've got time.

38 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Jut be careful you're not using housing as an excuse!   But like I said, there's no point moving until you've got the Aussie pension under your belt, so you've got time.

Just looked at Zoopla again -- my God, prices have changed (lower) & I saw a new 2-bed unit for £60K in the area I want ! No garage but no grass to mow 👍

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, not a hillbilly said:

Just looked at Zoopla again -- my God, prices have changed (lower) & I saw a new 2-bed unit for £60K in the area I want ! No garage but no grass to mow 👍

Hmmm I wonder why the prices have gone down…..could it be I’m telling the truth….beware the ‘bargain’….if the property is £60k is it in a place you want to live in? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

However I'm talking to a retired person.

The bottom line is that you're saying to people, "OK I know you're absolutely miserable in Australia because you're yearning to go home and you don't want to die in a foreign land, but you're better off staying depressed and financial in Australia than being happy but broke in the UK".   

I think people in that situation should listen to people like @Amber Snowball or @bug family, as to whether the current situation in the UK is so bad that it outweighs their need to be 'home'.  

I’m not saying that to anyone @Marisawright as usual putting words in my mouth. 
Being poor in the UK is no picnic right now. Poverty causes depression too! 
I was just pointing out that the landscape in the UK in 2024 is very different from 2015. Different worlds in fact. You have experience but it’s not up to date and you can’t compare how it was to how it is.
Amber Snowball openly admits that their life is easier financially in the UK because of equity brought from Aus. I think a lot of people come back in that position and therefore life is easier in the UK due to that and the fact they feel they are ‘home’. 
I’m all for people being where they want/need to be. But don’t kid yourself that the health service or economy in the UK is better than in Aus. It’s not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

But don’t kid yourself that the health service or economy in the UK is better than in Aus. It’s not. 

Now you're putting words in my mouth.  I never said it was better.  In fact if you read my post, I'm saying both are probably worse, but that's not the main consideration for people who desperately miss their homeland.

6 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Yes. It’s truly awful. But you’re not allowed to say it. Not here, not anywhere. Don’t raise an issue, don’t complain, don’t question anything. 🤫

Of course you’re allowed to say it and question it.  You’re saying it on here and you can say it anywhere.  We don’t live in a dictatorship country where you’re locked up for any reason.   You can raise the issues with your local council, your local MP, doctors surgery.  You can blast it across social media and spend days walking around telling everyone you come across what you think about road signs and the doctor/ambulance delays.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Economically and socially things are not great for a lot of people in the UK as Brexit, Covid and years of austerity politics all continue to take their toll. Almost daily we are warned that the country's coffers are empty, although to some extent that is par for the course before an expected budget, but time will tell how well the UK navigates all of this.

However, while location has always mattered it is perhaps a key factor just now, so if contemplating a mbttuk maybe do as much research as you did for the original move, and maybe widen your search area a little if at all possible.

But to add some balance, there are usually two sides to a story and the other side of the broken Britain narrative is one of a country that provides a sense of belonging for many. The geography, history and culture is familiar and unique in it's own way, supporting a sense of being in the right place at the right time. And despite all the issues it is still possible to live here and be happy, families still celebrate occasions, people go to weddings, move house, have children, start a new job - normal everyday stuff of life, big and small. Rain or shine. T x

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Laughing emoji about someone in this situation @Blue Manna says a lot about you ,hope you never have to depend on emergency services, sad attitude 

The forum rules prevent me from saying why this is funny. Maybe the expression "you've made your bed, so lie in it" is appropriate here?

1 hour ago, Blue Manna said:

The forum rules prevent me from saying why this is funny. Maybe the expression "you've made your bed, so lie in it" is appropriate here?

Well if you don't like the forum rules you shouldn't have accepted them when signing up, its not like they are new.

Also just a reminder to all,  this is UK chat, not CTF.

Cal x

To get slightly back on topic to help people with their decision. We have been back in the UK (South England) for 4 months now and me and my family couldn't be happier. We even managed to survive last nights weather warning which "could be a danger to life". 😄

Kids are loving their new schools, as much as kids can love school... My wife has already started working and I managed to land a job starting in October, right next to my old company so I can foresee a few pub sessions when the inevitable train delays kick in...

Today we going to view our first house as we begin prepping to buy a place. So we are quite happy with the way to move has worked out.

At the end of the day, comparing Aus as a whole versus UK as a whole is pretty pointless. You can't for example compare Blackpool to Bondi (No disrespect to anyone from either of those places 😄)

Long story short, in my opinion, where you live and your personal situation (finance, job, etc) is a lot more important than any of the "Aus versus UK" comparisons.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Congratulations 3