How Long before you realised that Australia was or was not the place that you wanted to spend the rest of your days ?

bug family

7 hours ago, lothar said:

To get slightly back on topic to help people with their decision. We have been back in the UK (South England) for 4 months now and me and my family couldn't be happier. We even managed to survive last nights weather warning which "could be a danger to life". 😄

Kids are loving their new schools, as much as kids can love school... My wife has already started working and I managed to land a job starting in October, right next to my old company so I can foresee a few pub sessions when the inevitable train delays kick in...

Today we going to view our first house as we begin prepping to buy a place. So we are quite happy with the way to move has worked out.

At the end of the day, comparing Aus as a whole versus UK as a whole is pretty pointless. You can't for example compare Blackpool to Bondi (No disrespect to anyone from either of those places 😄)

Long story short, in my opinion, where you live and your personal situation (finance, job, etc) is a lot more important than any of the "Aus versus UK" comparisons.

So happy for you @lothar.

I think you have nailed it with “personal situation “. Mine is quite unique in terms of housing need just because of it being multi generational and needing that extra self contained space. It worked ok in Australia but we were all under the same roof, whereas here we are in completely seperate addresses, which is not something I could ever afford in Australia.

I have far more disposable income here, which I don’t particularly understand but I do. 🤷🏻‍♀️

The early years in Australia were definitely better, but the last couple of years I was up against it financially.

Anyway, best of luck with it all. Really happy for you! 🥳

• Like 3

As said having just returned from 5 weeks in uk , it’s certainly changed from 3 years ago during my last visit and all people I spoke to didn’t have a great outlook for next 10 years or so. Imho there are no right and wrong answers if one place is better than the other , we are all different and have vastly different requirements from our lives. 
only ever regret what you have never done. Neither places are perfect, I have seen my wife really struggle over last 18 months about wanting to return to uk but she made the decision to remain in Australia for at least another 3 years ( her working life) as she was looking to go part time in uk ( chemo nurse) , I think it’s a completely different situation when  you don’t have to work and are financially stable. 
best of luck to everyone in their journey and choice. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

@lothar really pleased the move back is working out well for you. Long may it continue! 🥰 Genuinely wish you all the best. 
Agree with what @Rallyman has said about the general climate and how people are feeling. When we tell people we are leaving most people say things like ‘life is a struggle here now’ or ‘there’s not much for working families here now’ etc etc. Most people won’t express these feelings until the conversation is opened up, because let’s face it what’s the point in dwelling on negative things that you can’t change? 
That’s the increasing sense I get from people - that they feel they have less agency/control over their lives as things are gradually stripped from them one by one. Certainly where we are facilities are being closed on a large scale - swimming pools, libraries, community centres, council nurseries. That’s why I’m always saying to people if you come back, try to head for an affluent pocket if you can. 
Can’t comment on being in the position of not having to work. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

@lothar really pleased the move back is working out well for you. Long may it continue! 🥰 Genuinely wish you all the best. 
Agree with what @Rallyman has said about the general climate and how people are feeling. When we tell people we are leaving most people say things like ‘life is a struggle here now’ or ‘there’s not much for working families here now’ etc etc. Most people won’t express these feelings until the conversation is opened up, because let’s face it what’s the point in dwelling on negative things that you can’t change? 
That’s the increasing sense I get from people - that they feel they have less agency/control over their lives as things are gradually stripped from them one by one. Certainly where we are facilities are being closed on a large scale - swimming pools, libraries, community centres, council nurseries. That’s why I’m always saying to people if you come back, try to head for an affluent pocket if you can. 
Can’t comment on being in the position of not having to work. 

I’d love to be able to comment on the position of not having to work! 🤣🤦🏻

• Haha 2

On 28/09/2024 at 20:46, Amber Snowball said:

I’d love to be able to comment on the position of not having to work! 🤣🤦🏻

I don't have to "work" anymore as I've spent the last 25yrs down-sizing, making sure I live just a few blocks from my employment etc so big savings.  I still do occasional volunteering, if enjoyable, to get what I call a "pre-pension" (work for the Dole).

Been crunching the numbers & found that rent in my preferred area of the UK is cheaper than here and 2-bed unit prices to buy are about the same - need to find out about council tax, cost of buying etc etc.  Interior decor quality in the UK is often much better but of course the rooms are often smaller but still acceptable (Aussies are like Americans, wanting enormous properties far bigger than needed).

• Like 1