Counsellor

Rachel Finlayson

Are you a psychologist or social worker? I'm not sure that counsellor is on the list of skills required for a visa. In Australia, counsellors are not regulated and don't attract Medicare subsidies unlike psychologists. Anyone can put up their shingle and call themselves a counsellor, even if they've just done the Meghan Markle online counselling certificate one weekend. It's not a very lucrative profession as you would be in direct competition with psychs who get Medicare subsidies and there are more psychs to the square inch here than anywhere else except California.   If counsellor is on the list of occupations needed for a visa then you can apply. If it's not, then you can't. 

15 minutes ago, Quoll said:

If counsellor is on the list of occupations needed for a visa then you can apply. If it's not, then you can't. 

That's not always strictly true.  Your job title isn't what determines whether you can migrate.   It's your skillset, qualifications and experience.  That may not help the OP of course, depending on what her underlying qualifications are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rachel Finlayson said:

...whether I am classed as a skilled worker and can use my profession to help me migrate. I am a fully trained counsellor with a full private practice ...

A search for "Counsellor" on the official  Immigration website

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/working-in-australia/skill-occupation-list#

produces 6 options in that category.  Each one links to further information.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...