190/491 Queensland

tonks

Hi everyone, after 4 years of consideration about what we’d like to do, we’ve decided we’d like to move to Queensland. However, we’re now having a slight panic! 

We were hoping to apply for a 190/491 visa (my husband is currently on the Priority Skills Migration Occupation list) but have seen that it is closed to anyone not already living in Australia. 

is this a covid precaution or is this usual for Queensland? Are we out before we even get started? 

Thank you! 

Hi Tonks,

Im in a similar position and have been obsessively checking the BSMQ Facebook page for updates. I saw someone had asked them when they were likely to open up to offshore EOIs and their reply was “not until the covid situation significantly improves”. 

So we might be a way off yet!

12 hours ago, tonks said:

Hi everyone, after 4 years of consideration about what we’d like to do, we’ve decided we’d like to move to Queensland. However, we’re now having a slight panic! 

We were hoping to apply for a 190/491 visa (my husband is currently on the Priority Skills Migration Occupation list) but have seen that it is closed to anyone not already living in Australia. 

is this a covid precaution or is this usual for Queensland? Are we out before we even get started? 

Thank you! 

Hi tonks, have you considered applying for jobs in Australia while you are overseas? Your husband probably has a better chance of securing a job offer from an Australian employer since his occupation is on the PMSOL, and he will be eligible for a travel exemption on the basis of being sponsored by an employer on the PMSOL. Check out this page on the Department of Home Affairs website for more information: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/travel-restrictions#toc-3

DHA specifically states:

"The Commissioner of the Australian Border Force and decision makers may grant you an individual exemption if you are:

Of course the 190/491 visas are still an option later down the track (particularly if you are already living in Australia). It doesn't hurt to get a head start on your Australian migration plans. Might as well start job hunting while waiting for things to go back to normal!

All the best 🙂

PS. Also I would consider applying for jobs everywhere in Australia, if only to secure a sponsorship, just to get a foot in the door so to speak. Once you and your husband are physically in Australia you can always change employers, move around, etc.

Edited by Jia
add more information