Christian Schools

tonks

Hi, 

I'm anxious about the school sizes in the Sunshine Coast. The one we were looking at has over 3000 pupils from Prep-yr12. My children are in a school now with 1000 pupils from Reception-yr12 and as my son has some coordination delays and a couple of learning needs, we're worried how he'll cope in a school with some many students. Private school isn't really an option for us as we will be going across on one UK wage (my husband is taking his job out there at first) and I don't know how long it will take me to find employment as Teachers Aide positions seem to be very highly sought. 

However, the Christian schools in the area are much more affordable and have a smaller amount of pupils. but although my husband and I are both christened and baptised, our children aren't. Will this be a requirement if we wanted to look into one of the Christian schools? 

Thank you! 

Seems to depend on the school; one of our local Anglican school prides itself on having diverse beliefs and happily accepts hindus, muslims, secular as well as christian.  Another school not far away insists on both kids and parents being baptised.

12 hours ago, tonks said:

Hi, 

I'm anxious about the school sizes in the Sunshine Coast. The one we were looking at has over 3000 pupils from Prep-yr12. My children are in a school now with 1000 pupils from Reception-yr12 and as my son has some coordination delays and a couple of learning needs, we're worried how he'll cope in a school with some many students. Private school isn't really an option for us as we will be going across on one UK wage (my husband is taking his job out there at first) and I don't know how long it will take me to find employment as Teachers Aide positions seem to be very highly sought. 

However, the Christian schools in the area are much more affordable and have a smaller amount of pupils. but although my husband and I are both christened and baptised, our children aren't. Will this be a requirement if we wanted to look into one of the Christian schools? 

Thank you! 

Our youngest went to the local Anglican secondary school. He has autism and they had a stream for kids with learning difficulties. 

My wife had to take him for an interview and she told me not to go. Neither of us are religious and the last time I went to church was my Dads funeral in the UK. kids never go.

It was a big school, lots of pupils but their "stream" had the same form teacher the whole way through. A constant that suited my son and the others. There main form room was the library where it was a bit more peacful and quiet. He liked school. He would have been in trouble at the local public school his elder brother went to. Wasn't even that much more expensive.

Not all religious schools are the same. Be wary of some small 'christian' schools. Particularly those with the word Christian in their names.

Some of these schools can be a bit fundamentalist and their version of science might not agree with yours. 

The old well-established Anglican, Presbyterian etc schools are completely different as they cater for all (and no) religions and are far more mainstream.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NickyNook said:

Not all religious schools are the same. Be wary of some small 'christian' schools. Particularly those with the word Christian in their names.

Some of these schools can be a bit fundamentalist and their version of science might not agree with yours. 

The old well-established Anglican, Presbyterian etc schools are completely different as they cater for all (and no) religions and are far more mainstream.

My sister's kids went to a Catholic school. But they hated it, as they said if you weren't Irish or Italian you didn't fit it.

I knew a lot of kids who went to a Jewish primary. They were all pretty advanced by high school.