Do we all need a visa?

LandM

Hi there lovely PIO community

We are a family of four+ (me, Hubby, son and daughter and bump). 
Baby is due in October. 

my question is - do we ALL need a visa?

I had in my head that as I would want to be a stay-at-home mum for a while, I wouldn’t need to work, so could we all go on a visa we get for just my husband? (Thinking skilled independent visa subclass 189 - he’s a computer developer)

I was thinking that I could apply for my visa once there?!

and do kids aged 7,4 and 0 need visas??

any advice on what we do about applying for a visa for ‘bump’ if you think we do all need visas?

Thanks for reading!!

😬

Of course you all need visas!  Visas are to get you into the country so unless you fancy staying in UK while your DH heads off to Australia, you will need documentation to allow you into the country.  However, You dont need your "own" visas, you go as dependents on your husband's visa.  If you dont actually have a baby, just a bump, you will need to wait until the baby arrives before they will need documentation.

• Like 1

Only one of you--the one with the best chance of getting a visa--needs to apply.   That person then includes spouse and children in their application.  When the main applicant's visa is awarded, you then each get a full, independent visa in your own right.

Getting a visa is not contingent on whether you plan to work once you've arrived.  

You don't need to worry about a visa for the new baby until it's arrived.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LandM said:

Thinking skilled independent visa subclass 189 - he’s a computer developer

For most people, there's no point applying for a visa right now because everything is suspended due to Covid.  The good news, for you, is that they are still accepting applications for a few priority occupations, and Developer Programmer is on that list. 

With that in mind, I would strongly advise you get in touch with a MARA registered migration agent urgently and get the process moving. Try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda.  

I say that, because the Priority list may be your golden opportunity.  In normal times, migrating to Australia is fiercely competitive.  It's like applying for a job--there's only a limited number of places every year, so Immigration can cherry-pick only the best.   To give you an idea:  you need only 65 points to be eligible to apply. However in recent years, only those with over 90 points have been successful.  

That has all changed with Covid.  Like I said, only the Priority occupations are being processed and they don't seem to be so worried about points.  So IF your husband's skillset matches that occupation, I'd be acting now.  I recommend an agent because they are more in touch with what's going on than we are, and they'll be able to get the application prepared and submitted much faster than you can (it's quite complicated these days).

Good luck.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

For most people, there's no point applying for a visa right now because everything is suspended due to Covid.  The good news, for you, is that they are still accepting applications for a few priority occupations, and Developer Programmer is on that list. 

With that in mind, I would strongly advise you get in touch with a MARA registered migration agent urgently and get the process moving. Try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda.  

I say that, because the Priority list may be your golden opportunity.  In normal times, migrating to Australia is fiercely competitive.  It's like applying for a job--there's only a limited number of places every year, so Immigration can cherry-pick only the best.   To give you an idea:  you need only 65 points to be eligible to apply. However in recent years, only those with over 90 points have been successful.  

That has all changed with Covid.  Like I said, only the Priority occupations are being processed and they don't seem to be so worried about points.  So IF your husband's skillset matches that occupation, I'd be acting now.  I recommend an agent because they are more in touch with what's going on than we are, and they'll be able to get the application prepared and submitted much faster than you can (it's quite complicated these days).

Good luck.

That's brilliant advice, Marisa. I noticed that the OP said in her other post that she's a teacher trainer / secondary school teacher. I don't think she'd stand much chance of a 189 to be honest, as a couple of my teacher friends were trying to get in on the easier 190, and they've given up on it now.

• Like 1