best method for booking flights to Australia

Captain Ron

Our PR Visa's were granted today and I am looking for advise on how best to book flights?  Im interested to know if others are using travel agents or booking directly with airlines and how reliable the flight schedules are at the moment.  Also, anything else we need to consider?  We are flexible with travel dates between August and December.  

Thanks 

• Congratulations 2

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Our PR Visa's were granted today and I am looking for advise on how best to book flights?  Im interested to know if others are using travel agents or booking directly with airlines and how reliable the flight schedules are at the moment.  Also, anything else we need to consider?  We are flexible with travel dates between August and December.  

Thanks 

Congratulations on your visa grant!  I'm not sure there is any right answer to this to be honest.  The best approach seems to me to book direct with the airline, with as flexible t&cs as you can get.  Prior to the end of April Qatar were offering full refunds up to the day before flying.  I booked with them - flying in September hopefully. 

The great unknown is whether you get bumped off a flight because they have a higher paying passenger they can take instead.  Some people have paid for business or first class to get around this.  Personally I think the £13k additional covers quite a few weeks of pratting about waiting for another flight if they do bump us.

Edited by Jon the Hat

9 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Pet flights are another headache entirely, have you started the process of taking your cat?

Hi, yes we are using Petair UK and they will sort her flight, fingers crossed. Do they chop and change their flights too?? sigh...

Don't know what cats are like but dogs at the Melbourne quarantine have at least 5 months wait to book in at the moment. Worth checking their direct site for how much time you will need to book in advance. 

Are they still bumping people off flights at the moment? 
We’ve got flights booked for 3rd June to Perth with Singapore airlines. Hope to god they don’t bump us. Supposed to start a new job after quarantine. 

5 hours ago, JonnyM said:

Are they still bumping people off flights at the moment? 
We’ve got flights booked for 3rd June to Perth with Singapore airlines. Hope to god they don’t bump us. Supposed to start a new job after quarantine. 

Im not sure to be honest.  We are only flying November but have been told by a few people and travel agents that Singapore airlines are the most consistent at the moment and not to go with anyone else.  Fingers crossed for you and good luck with the new job start in Perth!! 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 05/05/2021 at 11:07, Captain Ron said:

Hi, yes we are using Petair UK and they will sort her flight, fingers crossed. Do they chop and change their flights too?? sigh...

I would wait till 2022 for any pet transport. We have unfortunately had to keep our two cats with a friend. The process if very difficult and requires an independent team to sort out. Especially for Group 2/3 countries.