What happens next 309/100

mppc

I got my 309/100 visa Jan 2020 and I think I have to wait two years before I apply for a citizenship. I'm not sure if I read you can apply after 18 months then I seen it was 4 years. 

I'm just wondering if anyone can give me advice on what happens next, do we get contacted by immi or is there another process I will need to do? 

Many thanks. 

You must have lived in Australia for the past four years on a valid visa and have been a Perm Resident for the last 12 months. ie, to apply now, you need to have been a Permanent Resident (100 visa) for the past 12 months, and lived in Aus on any visa (ie, 309 visa) for three years prior to that.

there are also rules about how long you've spent outside of the country in the past four years as well as the last 12 months.

You won't get prompted to apply, you just need to start your application and prepare supporting documents, when your four years are getting close.

More details on Gov website: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/become-a-citizen/permanent-resident#Eligibility

Edited by vickyplum

2 hours ago, mppc said:

Thank you so much for the reply, I got both my 309/100 visas in Jan 2020 so I thought as I got the 100 straight away after 2 years I could apply. 

Note you also have to be resident in Australia, the time after your visa grant but before you migrate doesn't count as far as I know.

2 minutes ago, mppc said:

I have been in Australia from July 2019 first on a visitor visa then from Jan 2020 on a 309/100 so would July count as 2 years or Jan? 

It's 4 years from July 2019 for citizenship, provided that you are not absent for more than one year in the four and no more than 3 months in the 12 months before applying. When the time comes, you need to make a separate application, no one will contact you.