Best suburbs for families in Brisbane and Gold Coast

Roadtrain Boy

Could anyone please suggest some good suburbs In Brisbane or the Gold Coast to check out, we have been in South Australia for ten years and have decided to relocate to Queensland, we can go to $900,000 for a home and we are a little overwhelmed at where to look thanks.

5 hours ago, Roadtrain Boy said:

Hi Paul 

Work will be FIFO to mine sites or Heavy Diesel Mechanic in city

If you could FIFO from the Gold Coast airport, Coolangatta or Burleigh would be a fantastic location. $900k should get you something half-decent down there.

If you're talking Brisbane, the Redcliffe peninsula would put you close to the water and Brisbane airport. For $900k you can still buy somewhere really nice, as prices haven't gone ballistic there yet - but it won't be long!

@Roadtrain Boy, g'day mate, have you thought about the Mackay Region at all? only a 3-3.5 hour drive to the coal mines and close to the fabulous Whitsundays. For the kind of money you are offering, you could get good property on a few beach areas.

Just a thought, big engineering works in the city to cater to the mines, etc.

Cheers, Bobj.

Edited by Bobj
adding

5 hours ago, Bobj said:

@Roadtrain Boy, g'day mate, have you thought about the Mackay Region at all? only a 3-3.5 hour drive to the coal mines and close to the fabulous Whitsundays. For the kind of money you are offering, you could get good property on a few beach areas.

Just a thought, big engineering works in the city to cater to the mines, etc.

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks Bob

Yeah I have thought about Mackay, I spent a bit of time there back in 2008 I really liked it there , but the wife fancies Brisbane  or G coast but we,ll see what she thinks we’re heading up for five days at the end of this week for a look around Brisbane and surrounding areas thanks for your thoughts though 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Roadtrain Boy said:

Thanks Bob

Yeah I have thought about Mackay, I spent a bit of time there back in 2008 I really liked it there , but the wife fancies Brisbane  or G coast but we,ll see what she thinks we’re heading up for five days at the end of this week for a look around Brisbane and surrounding areas thanks for your thoughts though 👍🏻

The thing to look at is, what is the size of the city/town you're living in now?   

One thing many British people miss is that most Australians live in very large cities.  All our capital cities, including Brisbane, are big, busy places.  They're Birminghams and Manchesters by the sea.  Some people (including me) like the variety of services and activities and the general bustle.  Some people don't and would be happier in a regional centre, more like the size of town/city they liked in the UK.

What are you looking for in an area?

Beach side? or open / country? ..Do you want estate living or acreage? Will you have vehicles or need public transport? Will your wife need to find work? if so ,what line of work is she in? Do you have children/ need access to childcare/schools etc. 

The advantage of SEQ is it has a bit of everything if you know where to look, hence knowing the above will allow us to throw more suburb ideas at you, so you can look around them when you come up.

Cal x

Thanks for the comments guys, basically we have been living in a small rural town for ten years and feel it’s time to move on, we have two teenage girls and my wife works for a Australian wide company so she can relocate pretty much anywhere, we have two cars but don’t mind commuting on public transport if needed, we also would probably prefer a newly built estate but we’re pretty easy going and open minded 

😊

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The thing to look at is, what is the size of the city/town you're living in now?   

One thing many British people miss is that most Australians live in very large cities.  All our capital cities, including Brisbane, are big, busy places.  They're Birminghams and Manchesters by the sea.  Some people (including me) like the variety of services and activities and the general bustle.  Some people don't and would be happier in a regional centre, more like the size of town/city they liked in the UK.

I think that distorts the picture. Birmingham and Manchester are both in the middle of conurbations with populations of 2.5 million people but the West Midlands is only 909km2 while Greater Manchester is 1,276km2. Greater Brisbane isn't much smaller in terms of population (2.3 million) but is 15,826km2. Gold Coast is only 414km2 but it's population is only 540K so again far less dense than either Birmingham or Manchester.