Aus back to UK temporarily:)

ARNI

Hello all! 

My Hubby wants to move to London for a short while to see how it compares with Australia!! 

Does he need a visa? Or work permit or anything we need to apply from here? Can we just go there and look for work because I'm British citizen and he can leverage off me? 🤔 

Any thoughts? 

2 hours ago, ARNI said:

Does he need a visa? Or work permit or anything we need to apply from here? Can we just go there and look for work because I'm British citizen and he can leverage off me? 🤔 

I assume he's Australian?  You'll need to apply for a partner visa for him. It's nothing like the Australian partner visa.  You don't need to prove your relationship if you're married. Instead, you need to show you've got enough money to support him.  That means either savings (which can be proceeds from a house sale) or you need a job to go to.  The problem is, of course, if you just want to go for a short period then you probably don't want to sell your house!  

The application is a pain but you can DIY.  It's confusing because all the wording assumes you're already living in the UK, but just ignore that.  It only takes a couple of months to get approved. 

I guess the other option is he could see if he can get an employer in the UK to sponsor him - no idea what kind of work visas might be available. 

The problem right now would be getting permission to leave Australia if you're not going to leave permanently.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1