Flying my cat back again - to Australia

CatMoose

Hi all

In brief, I adopted my cat as a kitten in Australia 9 years ago . I flew him back to the UK with me through JetPets who were absolutely brilliant. He was fine and adjusted no problems. Due to personal circumstances it now looks like I'll be returning to Australia next year. 

He's my best mate and I can't imagine not having him by my side, but I'm anxious about another long haul flight for him, especially given that he'll also need to go into quarantine. I will use another company to transport him and I'm taking him to the vet this afternoon for a health check and to get the vet's opinion.

Just wondering what other folks think. 

Jo

* Please spare me the 'Aussies don't like cats'  thing. I adopted him over there as a kitten and god knows there were hundreds to choose from. Aussies are the same as us, a nation of animal lovers. I'm aware of local and state guidance around pet containment and was advised about keeping him indoors by the Aussie vets and followed local and state guidelines. Interestingly my Aussie girlfriend refused outright to keep her own cat inside. 

Edited by CatMoose

I think if he’s well enough to fly I would take him. Unless you are likely to be returning to the uk quite soon, in which case maybe a friend could baby sit him.

I moved my 8yo diabetic cat back in 2018 to the uk, so no quarantine. He was ropey but he’s diabetic so not unexpected. Recovered in a couple of days. I wouldn’t move him again that’s for sure, but he isn’t in perfect health. 
They only do a week or so in quarantine now so not long. 
It was 4 weeks in quarantine when I moved my dog to Australia years ago. It’s a different quarantine station now but at the time in Spotswood I thought the animals were well cared for, it was clean etc. The cats were in a quieter area away from the dogs. All said it’s a quarantine centre not a home from home pet hotel, but only for a short period of time and once back with you they bounce back.

I had a cat pen on my verandah in Australia so he could go outside but not roam, lots of climbing and scratching things, he was fine. 🤷‍♂️

I worked with someone that moved their dog to Australia, couldn’t find work so returned to the uk, realised why they had left so back to Australia in the space of a year! 🤦🏻 Dog spent most of that year either on a plane or in quarantine. Dog was fine. Not that I think that is anyway to carry on but it shows I think that we worry more than they do! 
Good luck. 😀

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jo. Sorry for the late reply.

9 years old is no age for a cat, so as long as he is fit and well then he will fly just fine and do quarantine just fine - he will sulk for sure, but that is the way cats are 🙂 As long as the vets have said he is fit and healthy.

You should read this for some background

https://www.petairuk.com/destinations/taking-pets-to-australasia/australia/taking-cats-to-australia/

• 7 months later...