Guidance re Schools !

Melissaoram

Hello All

We are hopefully moving to Perth around June 2022, hubby's job via a 482 visa. My main area of worry is schools, my daughter is currently in Year 6 at Primary School so would be due to start secondary school here in the UK Sept 2022. We have already applied back in October 2021 for her school place as we didn't know the final decision re Aus at that point. How does the school year run, is it via the local authority for school admissions here, how did people go about choosing schools without having any knowledge about them ! I also would need to sort a primary school place for my son who is in Year 3 at Primary School ?! I am sooooooooo confused ready to start gathering my info for this ! Any help or advice would be greatly received, THANK YOU !! :-)

We are waiting to move to Mullaloo next year, daughter is in year 4 son in year 1. This is what I know.
School year starts early February after their summer break so it will all depend on when you plan to go.

If you move to a Suburb the local school that you are in the catchment area for has to find a place for you, so if you are happy with the local school where you are moving you could literally rock up a couple of weeks before to enrol. You can apply for other schools but you would not be guaranteed a place. You apply to the school itself and you would need either a rental agreement or proof of ownership of a property along with a service bill for the address And vaccination records to apply. 

If you have not chosen where you are moving, as far as which school that’s difficult, I know the schools in the area that we are moving and my sister has visited them, maybe you know someone who could visit some for you or if you look on the group specific to Western Australia  you could maybe ask on there. 

Foreign country quite different. School year runs from Jan to December. Schools have a priority enrolment area and are obliged to find a place for a kid living within that area so when you find the home you want to live in 24/7 then the local school will accommodate you. General rule of thumb - the schools reflect the neighbourhood they serve so if you wouldn’t  want to live in an area you wouldn’t  want to send your kid to school in that area so choose your home wisely!  
Your kids may not go into the same year level that they are in U.K. so don’t get too hung up on that - it all depends on their birth date.

As you’ll be on a temporary visa you know that you’ll have to pay fees for their schooling I’m sure. $4,000 per year for a family at the moment I believe.

Dont sweat it. Nobody gives a toss if the kids aren’t in school while you settle in and getting your home settled first is going to be key - where you will be working, where you can afford, where has vacancies, wherever the other things you need from your place of residence will all factor into wherever you end up finding a school. 

https://www.goodschools.com.au

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Melissaoram said:

Hello All

We are hopefully moving to Perth around June 2022, hubby's job via a 482 visa. My main area of worry is schools, my daughter is currently in Year 6 at Primary School so would be due to start secondary school here in the UK Sept 2022. We have already applied back in October 2021 for her school place as we didn't know the final decision re Aus at that point. How does the school year run, is it via the local authority for school admissions here, how did people go about choosing schools without having any knowledge about them ! I also would need to sort a primary school place for my son who is in Year 3 at Primary School ?! I am sooooooooo confused ready to start gathering my info for this ! Any help or advice would be greatly received, THANK YOU !! 🙂

It's many years ago since we moved, but my daughter started high school in the UK in the September and we moved in the January.  At that time, WA primary was until year 7, so it meant her going back to Primary for a year.