Loss Of Australian Citizenship

IrishDigger

13 hours ago, Quoll said:

He should have known that, it was well known at the time and it was rescinded in 2002.  You have been able to apply to get your citizenship restored ever since then.  He just wasnt paying attention.

Exactly. He took citizenship of another country when this was not allowed at that time. He regrets it now as realising the ramifications his decision making as a teenager has on his children. Many countries don't allow dual nationality like China, India, Austria, Netherlands, so he's lucky as being able to get it 'resumed'.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this, coincidentally at just the right time as I was about to start a new thread.

I applied for my son's citizenship by descent 2 months ago and just got a "request for more information" as they want to know how I became a British citizen - I was wondering why that is relevant.

On seeing this article, it made sense they want to check people didn't acquire other citizenships before 2002 (as they evidently didn't check for the first son of the man in the article), but the online form doesn't specifically ask for this information, it only says provide evidence of the citizenship like a passport.

However reading more carefully, the article says that only people over 18 would have lost their Australian citizenship in this way, and I wasn't over 18 in 2002.

Is there another factor relevant to my case or perhaps they just haven't put together that this wouldn't have applied to me (not that I became British before 2002 anyway, but they don't know that yet).

Edited by Philip