Is Melbourne really Australia's biggest city?

InnerVoice

1 hour ago, Ken said:

Yes, Sunbury is part of the City of Hume (as is Craigieburn which you can also see on that map), one of the 28 cities (including Melton) and 3 shires which form Metropolitan Melbourne.

When I moved to Australia I first lived in the City of Maribyrnong before building in the City of Wyndham. It's weird having moved from Melbourne to the Gold Coast and discovering that everyone in the Gold Coast has the same city council!

@Ken so how long did you live in Melbourne, and how long have you now been on the GC? Which do you prefer, or is that a daft question?!

6 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

I can't see the appeal either (don't like anywhere that's as flat as a pancake), but 5 million would beg to differ.

I think that's because there's more to life than scenery.   I still get homesick for Sydney, with its gorgeous harbour and coastline and mountains, but I thoroughly enjoy my life in Melbourne.  It's not as glamorous but it's a very practical place to live, with easily accessible amenities and good transport.  The weather means life here is less about the outdoors and more about culture, arts and crafts, which suits me to a T.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

@Ken so how long did you live in Melbourne, and how long have you now been on the GC? Which do you prefer, or is that a daft question?!

Over Nine years in Melbourne, 16 months in Gold Coast (so far). That whole "4 seasons in one day" thing in Melbourne is something I'm glad to get away from. I like the consistency we have here. I do miss the house we had in Melbourne (we designed it ourselves so we had great room sizes and everything where we wanted it) but the house we have now is Mortgage free, so despite the lack of energy efficiency that we built into our house it works out a lot cheaper.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ken said:

Over Nine years in Melbourne, 16 months in Gold Coast (so far). That whole "4 seasons in one day" thing in Melbourne is something I'm glad to get away from. I like the consistency we have here. I do miss the house we had in Melbourne (we designed it ourselves so we had great room sizes and everything where we wanted it) but the house we have now is Mortgage free, so despite the lack of energy efficiency that we built into our house it works out a lot cheaper.

That's a great place to be both financially and in terms of location - glad you're enjoying the move. I'm not such a fan of the Goldie these days as it's got a bit too busy for my liking, but I'd take it over Melbourne any day. We're looking to do similar in the next few years (downsize and go mortgage-free), but real estate prices in Cairns aren't quite in the same league as Melbourne, so we'll not be able to be too choosy!

2 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

That's a great place to be both financially and in terms of location - glad you're enjoying the move. I'm not such a fan of the Goldie these days as it's got a bit too busy for my liking, but I'd take it over Melbourne any day. We're looking to do similar in the next few years (downsize and go mortgage-free), but real estate prices in Cairns aren't quite in the same league as Melbourne, so we'll not be able to be too choosy!

Where did you live in Melbourne to form such a negative view.

2 hours ago, Parley said:

Where did you live in Melbourne to form such a negative view.

I didn't say anything negative about Melbourne, but given the choice I'd rather live on the Gold Coast.

I had a friend who lived in Frankston who I used to visit quite regularly back in the noughties. I thought it was quite an interesting town and reminded me a bit of a British seaside resort, particularly as whenever I visited it was nearly always cool and overcast. I recall just one occasion when it was nice enough to go to the beach - not that I'm a beach person, but I didn't move to the other side of the world to live in a place with rather average weather. I think Melbourne centre is pretty interesting with the parks, trams and whatnot, but the suburbs seem to go on forever and are often quite featureless. I remember the first time driving down the Nepean Highway thinking "Are we there yet?", only to find out later that Frankston is only halfway along it!

12 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

I didn't say anything negative about Melbourne, but given the choice I'd rather live on the Gold Coast.

I had a friend who lived in Frankston who I used to visit quite regularly back in the noughties. I thought it was quite an interesting town and reminded me a bit of a British seaside resort, particularly as whenever I visited it was nearly always cool and overcast. I recall just one occasion when it was nice enough to go to the beach - not that I'm a beach person, but I didn't move to the other side of the world to live in a place with rather average weather. I think Melbourne centre is pretty interesting with the parks, trams and whatnot, but the suburbs seem to go on forever and are often quite featureless. I remember the first time driving down the Nepean Highway thinking "Are we there yet?", only to find out later that Frankston is only halfway along it!

I thought you said you lived in Melbourne. I simply asked where. I probably should have asked Ken not you.

I am in the Eastern Suburbs and think it is lovely place to live. But true I wouldn't choose Frankston personally. However it is probably the cheapest beachside suburb to buy a house.

I heard the other day there are some plans to build highrises on the water there and make it like the Gold Coast. Sounds crazy but who knows if it would revitalise the place.

https://www.abc.net.au/melbourne/programs/mornings/mayor-great-wall-of-frankston/102013160

Edited by Parley
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Parley said:

I am in the Eastern Suburbs and think it is lovely place to live. But true I wouldn't choose Frankston personally. However it is probably the cheapest beachside suburb to buy a house.

I heard the other day there are some plans to build high rises on the water there and make it like the Gold Coast. Sounds crazy but who knows if it would revitalise the place.

https://www.abc.net.au/melbourne/programs/mornings/mayor-great-wall-of-frankston/102013160

I recall Frankston having a reputation for being a bit rough, although we're talking 'Australian rough' here, not UK rough. I never would have known if I hadn't been told as it always seemed to be quite a bustling place, with a decent shopping centre. It'd be a shame if they stuck high rises on the waterfront as that would completely destroy any character the town had.

I'm sure Melbourne has some very beautiful suburbs, but as with other Australian cities the nicer houses on larger blocks are closer to the city and are completely unaffordable for most. You should see some of the lego-brick houses they are building up here in Queensland - I don't know how they get away with it. I'm guessing some large brown envelopes are involved.

On 17/04/2023 at 13:55, InnerVoice said:

Just read this morning that Melbourne is now bigger than Sydney after Melbourne city limits were expanded to include the 'suburb' of Melton. I say suburb in the loosest sense of the word, as it is clearly a separate town with a good 10km of countryside between there and the most outer suburb of Melbourne.

Population growth doesn't seem like a statistic to be proud of in any case, but one wonders if this is just a continuation of the 'Which is better - Sydney or Melbourne?' argument, that some hold dear.

It's a simple question to answer which of the two is better.....Brisbane 😉

I think that to your later point about the eventual merge with the GC (and also the SC) too, that there is still an opportunty for infrastruture into the corridors to support, and can see the effort that is being made with the bike path etc at Springwood.  Would be good to get the trains fixed at the same time!

2 hours ago, Ferrets said:

It's not a question of which is better, just which has a larger population.   I have no idea why they make a fuss about it.  

Which one is better is impossible to answer because it depends entirely on personal preferences.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2023 at 18:07, Ferrets said:

I think that to your later point about the eventual merge with the GC (and also the SC) too, that there is still an opportunty for infrastruture into the corridors to support, and can see the effort that is being made with the bike path etc at Springwood.  Would be good to get the trains fixed at the same time!

22 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It's not a question of which is better, just which has a larger population.   I have no idea why they make a fuss about it.  

Which one is better is impossible to answer because it depends entirely on personal preferences.

Sydney or Melbourne is just a rhetorical question, and the source of endless debate over the years. I would also choose to live in Brisbane than the aforementioned cities, although I think it will take more than bike path at Springwood to solve the current infrastructure problems in S E Queensland.

18 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

Sydney or Melbourne is just a rhetorical question, and the source of endless debate over the years. I would also choose to live in Brisbane than the aforementioned cities, although I think it will take more than bike path at Springwood to solve the current infrastructure problems in S E Queensland.

Totally agreed on that bike path, was only meant as an example of what is being done in the corridor, and there's still space to get a lot of infrastructure in that would be harder in the other cities.  Trains would be a much bigger solve!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ferrets said:

Totally agreed on that bike path, was only meant as an example of what is being done in the corridor, and there's still space to get a lot of infrastructure in that would be harder in the other cities.  Trains would be a much bigger solve!

Extending the train line from Varsity Lakes down to the Gold Coast Airport would be hugely beneficial. They've only been talking about it 20 years!

32 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

Extending the train line from Varsity Lakes down to the Gold Coast Airport would be hugely beneficial. They've only been talking about it 20 years!

Melbourne's been talking about a train line to airport for even longer - I believe since they first start to plan to build the airport in 1958 (the airport opened in 1970). They now claim they'll have one by 2029. You've got to admire the optimism.

• Haha 2