Looking for long time residents of Exmouth

Jeff Tackett

Hello!

I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this site!  When I was a kid, my dad was in the US Navy and our family was stationed in Exmouth from '66 to '69.  Even though I was definitely young at the time (born in '64), I still have TONS of amazing memories of our time there.  I am one of the very lucky people that has vivid memories of events from as far back as 1 year old.  I even have some cool scars form our time there....  I remember a bad storm that slammed the front door and almost cut the end of my finger off.  I have a big scar on my shin from a piece of tin we put over a ditch so we could run across it and the end popped up and stuck in me.  I remember counting kangaroos on the way to the beach, all of the amazing shells we found over the years, all the amazing fish and turtles we caught while fishing.  Soooo many wonder memories!!!  We were out boating in an aluminum boat one day and a VERY large manta ray came up and swam right under the boat, matching our speed.  It was so graceful and powerful.  We were going as fast as we could go and it decided to leave, so with one "flap" it shot away and was gone.  I have so many stories I could go on forever....

My dream is to take my wife and kids there someday so they might get a taste of what it was like and to try to relate to all the stories I have told them over the years.  Such an amazing place and such wonderful people!!  There was an elderly Aboriginal man that lived somewhere near where we used to go camping on the beach and he would often ride up on his horse.  It was always a treat when we got to see him.  Such a nice man!!!

We were living there when Exmouth was dedicated and all of the non Australian citizens were given certificates proclaiming us "Dinky Di Aussies".  Unfortunately, over the years those certificates were lost and it just kills me that we can't find them.  We have even contacted officials in Exmouth, but they don't have any records from back then and there isn't anyone still there that remembers it.  There has GOT to be somebody, somewhere that was around at the time and remembers it or has one of those certificates.

Sorry if I have rambled a bit here, but this a subject very near and dear to me.  All the pictures, the memories, the dreams....I'll cherish them forever!!

Thank you for reading!!

Jeff Tackett (Dinky Di Aussie)  :)