Jervis bay

Squirlies

1 hour ago, Squirlies said:

Is there enough around jervis bay area to live with two teenagers or are we better looking elsewhere to live 

Where would you be working?  Jervis Bay is a great spot if they're mad about snorkelling, swimming, kayaking or sailing.  Absolutely gorgeous beaches. Otherwise there's not much to do as the towns around there are all small.  If you want to find the major shopping chains, the nearest decent-sized town is Nowra.    

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Squirlies said:

My husband has a job in wagga wagga but is going to commute back at weekends. He works away now in the uk so used to travelling..

Ah yes, I remember now. You want a beachside lifestyle within reasonable commutable distance of Wagga.

I would be tempted to go for Kiama.  An hour shorter commute, and it's been ranked as one of the most liveable towns in Australia.  Lovely beaches, far more amenities than Jervis Bay without feeling crowded (population is only 20,000).   

The other great thing is that it's on  the train line to Wollongong and Sydney for shopping trips, theatre etc.  Jervis Bay isn't.

https://secretsydney.com/kiama-most-liveable-town/

• Like 1

I’d agree with Marisa, Kiama would be a much nicer option and access to a train line up to Sydney is a definite plus. The south coast is very tourist oriented with lots of blow ins and weekender homes. JB doesn’t really have much going for it unless you’re going to work for the Navy.

11 hours ago, Squirlies said:

Thank you for the reply. All the things you have mentioned is why we are looking at jervis bay. My husband has a job in wagga wagga but is going to commute back at weekends. He works away now in the uk so used to travelling..

I agree with the above; Kiama is lovely and somewhat nicer than JB, but that doesn't sound like much of a life for your husband - being stuck in Wagga Wagga all week on his tod. I did the commuting/living away from home gig for 2 years and became quite resentful in the end. Not at my family, just at the situation. Plus I was only working a couple of hours away so it wasn't too bad, but after a 4-5 hour commute on a Friday you'd feel knackered most of Saturday, and then Sunday arvo a long drive back again. Respectfully, I think you need to go back to the drawing board on that idea.

• Like 1

He's used to it now here in the uk. He commutes up and down the country. Its only going to be for a year or so in aus so not long term 

58 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

I agree with the above; Kiama is lovely and somewhat nicer than JB, but that doesn't sound like much of a life for your husband - being stuck in Wagga Wagga all week on his tod. I did the commuting/living away from home gig for 2 years and became quite resentful in the end. Not at my family, just at the situation. Plus I was only working a couple of hours away so it wasn't too bad, but after a 4-5 hour commute on a Friday you'd feel knackered most of Saturday, and then Sunday arvo a long drive back again. Respectfully, I think you need to go back to the drawing board on that idea.

He's used to it now here in the uk. He commutes up and down the country. Its only going to be for a year or so in australia not long term 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Squirlies said:

He's used to it now here in the uk. He commutes up and down the country. Its only going to be for a year or so in australia not long term 

Probably bearable if just for a year, but living away from home in the UK is a completely different experience to what it is over here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

That’s interesting.  In what way?

Everything closes so early over here, especially in Queensland, so you aren't going to find much socially going on. I'm not suggesting that you'd want to be in the pub every night, but when I worked away it was a swim or trip to the gym after work, dinner in the microwave, telly, and bed. In the UK you can always do a bit of pottering about. Options over here are a bit more limited.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1