Australian Visa Health Requirements

George Lombard

The Australian government is foreshadowing that in negotiations with the Greens in the Senate it is prepared to adjust the health approval criteria for people with disabilities, which we assume might include conditions as diverse as autism, Crohn's disease, haemophilia and amputees.  The devil is evidently going to be in the detail but we do recommend that you watch this space, and email us for updates if necessary - george.lombard@playfair.com.au .

GL

• Like 2

It's more about the situation of people with a disability politically - dating back to the Gillard government in about 2011, the ALP had a commitment to equalise the situation of those with disabilities in Australian society.  The Greens are calling the ALP out about their principles now that they're in power again, and it seems that the policy is going to change, watch this space....

• 7 months later...

Has there been any updates on this? It would be interesting to learn more. I'm an Australian citizen and my husband is American. We applied 10 years ago to move back home from Australia but unfortunately my husband was refused even with a health waiver because they costed his Crohn's condition at over a million dollars.

2 hours ago, Angela W said:

Has there been any updates on this? It would be interesting to learn more. I'm an Australian citizen and my husband is American. We applied 10 years ago to move back home from Australia but unfortunately my husband was refused even with a health waiver because they costed his Crohn's condition at over a million dollars.

Sorry to hear that your husband still got rejected.  I didn’t know that they would still do this to the spouse of Aus citizens but suspected as much.  My son’s wife has CIDP which ball park estimates would put at at least $250k pa with IVIG infusions.  Not that she wants to move to Australia but things may change.  My guess that she would be rejected therefore.