Is it wrong(Selfish) to leave elderly parents behind.

Adam 005

I am in a very similar position in that we will be leaving my mum behind. There were lots of factors in the decision including the fact my wife moved to the UK to be with me and has spent 15 years here, and that has clearly been a one-sided family based sacrifice on her part. The overriding thing for us though is that we feel Australia is the best place for our children to grow up, and as a parent that is something that my mum not only agrees with but can understand. Not that it will be any easier when the time comes of course.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bluequay said:

I am in a very similar position in that we will be leaving my mum behind. There were lots of factors in the decision including the fact my wife moved to the UK to be with me and has spent 15 years here, and that has clearly been a one-sided family based sacrifice on her part. The overriding thing for us though is that we feel Australia is the best place for our children to grow up, and as a parent that is something that my mum not only agrees with but can understand. Not that it will be any easier when the time comes of course.

Same here, unfortunately then you have to be in one country when parents get old.  You have to be a bit selfish, and I hope like mine your parents always knew you might go back, and will be grateful to have had you for the 15 years.

• Like 1