Job Market Perth WA

Hello All, 

So for context, my wife has is in the selection process for a Paramedic role (482 Visa) in Perth. I’ve been trying to gauge what the job market might be like for me but I’m struggling to get some real insights. Obviously recruitment agencies aren’t that interested because it’s all hypothetical at this stage (as a recruiter, I’d be the same) 

I was wondering if anyone on here might be able to give some insights while we are in the info gathering stages. 

I actually have a recruiter background, but not a 360 recruiter in a high-street agency. I previously worked large corporate accounts as an embedded recruiter and recruitment manager for clients like British Airways and the Lloyds Banking Group. Lately, I’ve been working in the sales function as a bid manager writing complex, technical proposals for new clients. 

ideally I’d like to stay in the same industry. Bid managers seem to be few and far between but I’d be open to returning to front-line recruitment or account management/relationship management/business development. Ideal salary in the region of $90,000 - $100,000. 

realistically, would I manage to find something with my skillset? Or would I struggle to find work?

quite keen to hear the experiences of people who have been in a similar situation.

thanks in advance! 
Craig

@Blue Manna can you elaborate on that housing situation a little? 
I have heard this before. However, my wife’s colleagues who have made the move don’t seem to have had as much issue as I expected them to. 
Maybe this is because as Paramedics, living close to the centre isn’t as important. Some of them are quite far out. 
Is this shortage with a certain location or type of accommodation maybe? 

Bear in mind that the population of the entire state of WA is only 2.5 million people, most of whom live in Perth.  That's the market you'll be working in. That's why all the big corporates (except the mining companies) have their offices in the Eastern states, where most Australians live.    

Housing is hard to find, however being "far out" probably isn't that big a deal in Perth.  Of course people complain about traffic jams, but with such a low population density compared to British cities, they're probably not anywhere near as bad as you're imagining!

On 18/05/2024 at 20:01, Kerr1207 said:

@Blue Manna can you elaborate on that housing situation a little? 
I have heard this before. However, my wife’s colleagues who have made the move don’t seem to have had as much issue as I expected them to. 
Maybe this is because as Paramedics, living close to the centre isn’t as important. Some of them are quite far out. 
Is this shortage with a certain location or type of accommodation maybe? 

Were the colleagues looking for spare rooms in share houses or taking entire houses?

I just know that when my family have rented out property they have been inundated with interest. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Blue Manna said:

Were the colleagues looking for spare rooms in share houses or taking entire houses?

I just know that when my family have rented out property they have been inundated with interest. 

We rented out a property in South Australia recently, 27 people at the inspection but the reality is only about 5 of them were decent prospective tenants, when the real estate agent dug into references and employment etc

The issue you may have is that you wont be seen as a good prospective long term tenant. So if your plan is to rent for a few months before you buy make sure you keep that to yourself, we turned one couple down as they stated that on their application form that it was perfect as they were looking to buy in the area, which to a landlord just says, I will have to go through this all again in a few months when you move on!!!

Edited by bluequay
  • Like 2

@bluequay we are looking to rent longer term. We are keeping our house in the UK to rent out so we won’t necessarily have the large cash surplus for a deposit initially anyway. I’m also conscious of the reports around home insurance being a challenge. 

@Blue Manna it’s whole houses, probably in the $600-$700 dollars per week bracket. In fact, her close colleague who is heading over in June has had three offers of houses before he’s even arrived. This conflicting information is why we are finding things challenging. Personally, I find it fishy when so many people say the house market is challenging and they say they have 3x offers. I wonder if they are being taken advantage of 🫣

@Ausvisitor I think I know what you mean. I’ve personally never rented before but my wife has. I guess getting a rental if your a young group might be challenging because of the perceived risks. Whereas the extent of the excitement and “wildness” in our life is whether we are going to have an extra glass of wine and risk a slightly sore head in the morning 😂

Thanks for all your input, it is useful as housing was a concern of mine. 

A good cover letter stating your new to the country hence no aussie rental history, along with a copy of a healthy bank account and a job offer (if you have one), tends to put you in good standing with most agents. I did relocations for a few years and learnt this trick quite early on. Try to befriend an agent who covers the area your looking as that does no harm either. 

Cal x

We did this plus added the sales brochure of the house we just sold and (with permission) details of the rental we were in on arrival whilst looking as a reference.  
No harm in showing details of the house in UK you will be renting out either 

Agree with making face to face contact with agents at inspections but don’t take up too much of their time as they usually hustle off to other viewings. Even if the property isn’t what you want you can give them your details and explain what you are looking for.  Don’t however expect them to contact you personally if something comes up subscribe to their list and also to the main sites to get alerts.

On 19/05/2024 at 02:47, Kerr1207 said:

Hello All, 

So for context, my wife has is in the selection process for a Paramedic role (482 Visa) in Perth. I’ve been trying to gauge what the job market might be like for me but I’m struggling to get some real insights. Obviously recruitment agencies aren’t that interested because it’s all hypothetical at this stage (as a recruiter, I’d be the same) 

I was wondering if anyone on here might be able to give some insights while we are in the info gathering stages. 

I actually have a recruiter background, but not a 360 recruiter in a high-street agency. I previously worked large corporate accounts as an embedded recruiter and recruitment manager for clients like British Airways and the Lloyds Banking Group. Lately, I’ve been working in the sales function as a bid manager writing complex, technical proposals for new clients. 

ideally I’d like to stay in the same industry. Bid managers seem to be few and far between but I’d be open to returning to front-line recruitment or account management/relationship management/business development. Ideal salary in the region of $90,000 - $100,000. 

realistically, would I manage to find something with my skillset? Or would I struggle to find work?

quite keen to hear the experiences of people who have been in a similar situation.

thanks in advance! 
Craig

What sort of technical proposals?  There are certainly roles for technical proposals people in the OEM, EPCM etc. into the mining oil and gas sectors.