Help- Subclass 836 carer visa

kikice

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Did you just have a free consultation with the agent, or did you hire her to manage the case for you?  If it was a free consultation then it was just very general advice. I don't think you can get one document that proves he can't get help from anyone. 

First of all, how old is the stepdad?  If he's over 65, then you need to check whether he has applied to MyAgedCare to get help.  If he hasn't applied, then he must do that first. Then if they can't help, he can get a letter from them to confirm that.

If he's under 65 then I assume he's disabled.  Then he would need to apply to the National Disability Scheme.  https://www.ndis.gov.au/applying-access-ndis   If they can't help, he can get a letter from them to confirm that. 

Besides that, there are plenty of private companies in Australia who provide support for disabled or elderly people in their own home.  He needs to prove that either he can't afford their fees, or that they can't provide the services he needs.  

Then if he's over 65, he could move into an aged care home.   He needs to show why he can't do that -- whether he can't afford it, or there are no vacancies, or whatever. 

It's natural that you should want to care for your relative personally, but the reality is that if you want to do that, the best option is for your stepdad to move to your country and live with you, rather than the other way around.  It may be difficult to prove that he can't get support in the community in Australia.

Edited by Hara
Editing for reply.

Yes he is over 65. When my brother came over for a visit my stepdad (75) had been unwell and needed help. Being his carer was not a part of the plan, but he ended up driving him and mum(70) to medical appointments and helping them out at home that’s why they ended up with this decision of getting my brother a carers visa. He’s never registered to My Aged Care before because the didn’t think he needed it yet due to mum was looking after him. It hasn’t been that long since he retired from being an electrician. But mum is getting older now too and it is getting hard for her now to assist him with his ADLs and she could not drive long distances. I did consult a migration lawyer and asked what requirements should we get for the visa application and when I get all the documents done then we’ll hire the agent to process the application. So reading from all the comments so far, i should register him to My Aged Care first and get assessed? Thank you for all the information. I appreciate it.

29 minutes ago, Hara said:

Yes he is over 65. ..

So reading from all the comments so far, i should register him to My Aged Care first and get assessed? Thank you for all the information. I appreciate it.

Yes. You're going to have to prove you made every effort to find help for him and couldn't, so there's no option but to apply for your brother to be his carer. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hara said:

...I did consult a migration lawyer and asked what requirements should we get for the visa application and when I get all the documents done then we’ll hire the agent to process the application....

Don't do it that way round 🙂

Hire an Agent - someone Registered, you can verify that here.  They will tell you what documents you need and why (or even if there is a better option or no realistic prospect of success).  They can also advise you of any risk that you may have run by doing what you are doing - Migration Law has a strict definition of work as "an activity that, in Australia, normally attracts remuneration".  "Helping out" a family member can accidentally cross the line into doing unpaid 'work'. 

A lot of people think that you only need an RMA to "fill out the forms", or in your words "process the application".  The value in an RMA is in managing risk and helping people gather the documents and evidence that helps rather than hinders their case.  I've consulted with plenty of clients, advised them of the path and documents they need and then they have gone off and applied for the visa under their own steam.  Better value and a better outcome for them engaging me early than doing a lot of work that is wasted (or worse applying, sending in docs that harm their application and then reaching out for help when more info is requested).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much for all your insights. This is such a great help for atleast now i know where to start. Yes i always thought that before hiring an agent i should have the documents ready first. I think that’s my first mistake. I’ve never needed help from a migration agent before so i’m really clueless. 

17 minutes ago, Hara said:

Yes he is over 65. When my brother came over for a visit my stepdad (75) had been unwell and needed help. Being his carer was not a part of the plan, but he ended up driving him and mum(70) to medical appointments and helping them out at home that’s why they ended up with this decision of getting my brother a carers visa. He’s never registered to My Aged Care before because the didn’t think he needed it yet due to mum was looking after him. It hasn’t been that long since he retired from being an electrician. But mum is getting older now too and it is getting hard for her now to assist him with his ADLs and she could not drive long distances. I did consult a migration lawyer and asked what requirements should we get for the visa application and when I get all the documents done then we’ll hire the agent to process the application. So reading from all the comments so far, i should register him to My Aged Care first and get assessed? Thank you for all the information. I appreciate it.

They sound like a pretty standard ageing couple that need extra help.  Australia is full of them and there is plenty of help out there.  The driving to medical appointments for example, there will be other ways.   With respect, I think you’re doing it the wrong way around.  I would be getting the help of an agent before getting everything else done because from what you’ve said, it may be a non starter.  Best of luck.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hara said:

Thank you very much for all your insights. This is such a great help for atleast now i know where to start. Yes i always thought that before hiring an agent i should have the documents ready first. I think that’s my first mistake. I’ve never needed help from a migration agent before so i’m really clueless. 

Also realise how hard getting a carer visa is.  Imagine if all someone needed to do is say they are going to be a carer for an elderly person in Australia and get handed a visa, the country would be over loaded with carers.  You can understand why immigration need evidence that you cannot obtain care onshore and that I think will be very hard to do.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Yes. You're going to have to prove you made every effort to find help for him and couldn't, so there's no option but to apply for your brother to be his carer. 

Having recently gone through the Age Care assessment process, after initially waiting only a very short time for the assessment, it has been very professional and thorough. Your needs and the house are assessed, and a few things, eg, grab rails, organised. Both of us had previously taken sensible advice, and registered before we needed any help, which does speed the process up, when the day comes☹️.

We can now get help for various things as or when we need it, from cleaning, gardening, general maintenance, it’s so reassuring to know help is there when needed to stay in your own home. At our level, there would be no need for a carer, and friends who are on level 4 top care plan still don’t need a carer, as there is a lot of help provided at that level, so I wonder how difficult it will be to prove the need for one.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

They sound like a pretty standard ageing couple that need extra help.  Australia is full of them and there is plenty of help out there.  The driving to medical appointments for example, there will be other ways.   With respect, I think you’re doing it the wrong way around.  I would be getting the help of an agent before getting everything else done because from what you’ve said, it may be a non starter.  Best of luck.

Depending where you live, there is plenty of help going to Dr’s appointments here on the Sunshine Coast. We also have a free service, Footprints care finder, who come to your home, to guide and support anyone eligible, on how to access the services available.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

The couple shouldn’t wait to register with Aged Care, and get into the system asap, irrespective of whether the person is eligible for a carer visa,

Too many people put off registering for all sorts of reasons, and only apply when they already really need help and then have a longish wait, likely to be least 6 months, to get into the system, while their health deteriorates. 

Sorry if I’ve mistaken your post Tulip

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ramot said:

The couple shouldn’t wait to register with Aged Care, and get into the system asap, irrespective of whether the person is eligible for a carer visa,

I agree. Apply for the services first, before going ahead with the carer visa application.  @Hara said that being a carer was not part of his brother's plan originally, and it's only because they think the stepdad isn't coping that they're thinking of it now.   It may well be, once he's been assessed for MyAgedCare, he'll find there is enough help available locally and it won't be necessary for the brother to step in. 

In any case, it's important to remember that the waiting period to even get the carer visa can be several years.  

• Like 2