PR visa (offshore) partner has Crohns will this effect our medical decisions?

David1316

Hello I am looking to immigrate to Australia on a 189/190 visa as a painter and decorator. I wondered if my partners medical would have a negative effect on our application as she has been diagnosed with having Crohns (mild, no operations or medication req, and isn't a problem to her daily life/lifestyle ect)

A visa agent did mention that it could have a negative effect on our application as they tend to look at what your potential costs would be to Australia for medicals and any medical history that could have potential to cost money usually has a impact on the decision, usually rejecting your application. 

The visa agent is right.   It's going to depend on her prognosis.   They're not really interested in how she's coping now, they'll want to know how the disease is likely to develop as she gets older -- because if she's going to spend the rest of her life in Australia, her treatment and medications will be covered by Medicare and therefore be a cost to the Australian taxpayer.  They'll work out what the likely cost will be over ten years, and if it's over $50,000, your visa will be rejected.  

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The visa agent is right.   It's going to depend on her prognosis.   They're not really interested in how she's coping now, they'll want to know how the disease is likely to develop as she gets older -- because if she's going to spend the rest of her life in Australia, her treatment and medications will be covered by Medicare and therefore be a cost to the Australian taxpayer.  They'll work out what the likely cost will be over ten years, and if it's over $50,000, your visa will be rejected.  

I see. I'm not sure how they'll determine that because she's had all of her tests/bloods ect so the initial costs have been done. Her stage of crohns is just mild (just like having ibs) she gets prescribed a sachet (comes in a month's supply) which she "can" take as and when if she feels like she needs to settle any irritation. However, prescriptions from my understanding in AU are also paid for and not "free" so this is at our cost still. 

In respect to future medicals nobody knows and likewise for most people nobody knows. She's stable, it's mild and doesn't effect her daily life, or activities. Could it get worse? Yes, could anyone get crohns? Yes.. Just one of those things..  thankfully it is not diagnosed at a stage where infusions or a bag / op is req.

Hopefully this will not effect a visa application. 

I've read on other forums about different medicals that you can sign a medical waiver does this just mean they won't pay for medicals for this problem for so many years on arrival or what?

8 minutes ago, David1316 said:

prescriptions from my understanding in AU are also paid for and not "free" so this is at our cost still. 

They are paid but they are subsidised. So for instance, I pay $30 for an asthma inhaler but the actual cost is double that -- so the taxpayer is paying the other half. Some medications are much more subsidised than that.  GP visits are the same -- you'll pay to see a GP, but it's subsidised.

9 minutes ago, David1316 said:

In respect to future medicals nobody knows and likewise for most people nobody knows.

You're right, nobody knows.  It will be up to Immigration's Medical Officer to make a judgment based on her history, the medical exam, and the typical progression of the disease. If her disease is very mild then you probably have nothing to worry about because they only look at the next ten years, not a lifetime, but it will be up to the doctors to decide.

12 minutes ago, David1316 said:

I've read on other forums about different medicals that you can sign a medical waiver does this just mean they won't pay for medicals for this problem for so many years on arrival or what?

No, that's not what it means. You can't sign a waiver.  Immigration decides to give you a waiver, in other words they decide it's worth making an exception to the health rules for you, e.g. for compassionate reasons (say you're applying for a partner visa to be with an Australian partner).   

Posted (edited)

To clarify a few points made above:

- To ‘pass’ the initial medical exam for a permanent visa, the medical officer must expect that you will not incur ‘significant costs’ over a period of time, usually 5 years. However, If you have a permanent or ongoing condition with a reasonably predictable course, the MOC will estimate what your condition will cost the community over your remaining life expectancy up to a maximum of 10 years.

- significant costs is currently defined as $51,000

- ‘waivers’ to this requirement are possible, under certain circumstances, for certain visa applicants

- there is no waiver available for 189/190 applications. 

some background here: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/meeting-our-requirements/health/protecting-health-care-and-community-services

Edited by paulhand
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We got our PR in like 2015 and my wife has crohns... We were on a 457 visa at the time and her medication is expensive, we had to justify how much money we would likely contribute with tax and also our community ties which was friends who are citizens etc.... it's a tough process but we got through it... I think it's easier if you are already here on a lesser visa but things might have changed... Good luck 

• Like 2