City & Guilds

kirstie

I'm hoping someone cam point me in the right direction. My husband has been a HD heavy plant mechanic for 35yrs. He has all his certifications which are City & Guilds. We are coming up against brick walls as these are not recognised in Australia. Can anyone help please 

That's right.  It's a silly situation, really. 

There are two hurdles to get over.  The first is whether his qualifications are recognised by Australian Immigration.  If they are, he can get a visa to come and live in Australia. 

But then there's another hurdle once he gets to Australia.  The registration boards in Australia have nothing to do with Immigration and don't recognize the visa skills assessment.   The registration boards don't usually recognise foreign qualifications, and he'll have to do some additional study, and probably work under supervision in Australia (at a lower salary) for about a year, before he's classed as fully qualified.  

It is frustrating but it's the way it is.  Worth noting, too, that if you're hoping for a skilled visa, the maximum age is 45.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

But then there's another hurdle once he gets to Australia.  The registration boards in Australia have nothing to do with Immigration and don't recognize the visa skills assessment.   The registration boards don't usually recognise foreign qualifications, and he'll have to do some additional study, and probably work under supervision in Australia (at a lower salary) for about a year, before he's classed as fully qualified.  

It is frustrating but it's the way it is.  Worth noting, too, that if you're hoping for a skilled visa, the maximum age is 45.

This probably wouldnt apply at all in this case as mechanics dont need to register or licence like Electrcians etc. 9 out 10 employers would take an experienced diesel / plant mechnic on, going off UK references and qualifications. Getting the job wouldnt be a problem for a good mechanic.

The hurdle will be getting the visa so worth speaking to a good agent for advice.

Cal x

1 hour ago, calNgary said:

This probably wouldnt apply at all in this case as mechanics dont need to register or licence like Electrcians etc. 9 out 10 employers would take an experienced diesel / plant mechnic on, going off UK references and qualifications. Getting the job wouldnt be a problem for a good mechanic.

Great news, thanks for clarifying that.

@kirstie, can you give us some more information? Is it for the visa that the qualifications aren't recognised?

4 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Great news, thanks for clarifying that.

@kirstie, can you give us some more information? Is it for the visa that the qualifications aren't recognised?

@Marisawright not being funny, especially given how much I know you follow things along. But if this bloke had done C&G and been at the game for 35 years, at the least he must be 50/51. Don't see that passing muster beyond a temp visa. Happy - as always - to stand corrected

19 hours ago, kirstie said:

I'm hoping someone cam point me in the right direction. My husband has been a HD heavy plant mechanic for 35yrs. He has all his certifications which are City & Guilds. We are coming up against brick walls as these are not recognised in Australia. Can anyone help please 

Lots to unpack in this. 

There are two questions.  One is Are you eligible for a visa?  Second is can you get a job?

The second is probably easier, if he has HD plant experience and is good to go to the mines I would suggest your husband would probably find a job quickly and at good money.  But I am not an employment expert so take that as a highly uneducated opinion 🙂

The visa also has two parts.  On age ANZCO 321212 Diesel Motor Mechanic qualifies for DAMA so is open up to age 55.  By a happy coincidence this covers the geographic areas the Mines are.  So if hubby is under 55 he may be eligible.  Qualifications are a real challenge to navigate and I won't offer any view on that in a public forum, other than noting a general need for a Cert III in this space.  There are lots of DAMAs and lots of variations though.  

Investing a couple of hundred dollars in a consult with a registered agent is probably your best bet but I suspect age may well be your biggest issue.

13 hours ago, BendigoBoy said:

@Marisawright not being funny, especially given how much I know you follow things along. But if this bloke had done C&G and been at the game for 35 years, at the least he must be 50/51. Don't see that passing muster beyond a temp visa. Happy - as always - to stand corrected

I had the same thought which is why I mentioned the age limit in my post.   However as Andrew points out, if he's willing to work in the remote mining areas then the age limit is 55.  

• Like 1