Anybody familiar with form NAT 75441 from the ATO?

Hi, newbie here though have visited the site a fair few times in the past. As above - is anyone familiar with this form? I've been in Australia over 30 years and last year turned 60 and applied for my NHS pension, turned out to be a long stressful process but eventually got there. After receiving advice from the very helpful Andrew at Vista (so pleased to discover he works in my suburb!) I submitted the tax relief form needed by HMRC but unfortunately got no further - I got a reply from the ATO saying they couldn't process it as I hadn't used their form (the one  above). I thought this would be a straightforward thing to do but I got a bit confused with a couple of sections, I tried phoning but was losing the will to live on hold so wrote to them instead, asking for advice. I've heard nothing. This was months ago, I've been trying not to think about it but the looming eofy and the arrival of a P60 from the NHS has forced me into action. I would happily go to an ATO office to sort it out but apparently that's not a thing they do. 

If anyone has had to complete one of these forms, or knows what it is, I can give more details about the specific sections I'm struggling with. Keeping fingers crossed. 

Hey FrankieJo

Thanks for the comments 🙂

I do not recognise your name from your user name so a bit lost as to who you are.

Ayway the form you mention is not what would be needed to send to the ATO, not too sure how you got that one, its a HMRC form that is required to be completed to have UK Pension paid gross, once complete it goes to the ATO who then forward to HMRC.

If you reach out by email andrew@vistafs.com.au I'll send one through to you.

KR 

Andy 

40 minutes ago, FrankieJo said:

Hi, newbie here though have visited the site a fair few times in the past. As above - is anyone familiar with this form? I've been in Australia over 30 years and last year turned 60 and applied for my NHS pension, turned out to be a long stressful process but eventually got there. After receiving advice from the very helpful Andrew at Vista (so pleased to discover he works in my suburb!) I submitted the tax relief form needed by HMRC but unfortunately got no further - I got a reply from the ATO saying they couldn't process it as I hadn't used their form (the one  above). I thought this would be a straightforward thing to do but I got a bit confused with a couple of sections, I tried phoning but was losing the will to live on hold so wrote to them instead, asking for advice. I've heard nothing. This was months ago, I've been trying not to think about it but the looming eofy and the arrival of a P60 from the NHS has forced me into action. I would happily go to an ATO office to sort it out but apparently that's not a thing they do. 

If anyone has had to complete one of these forms, or knows what it is, I can give more details about the specific sections I'm struggling with. Keeping fingers crossed. 

Sorry just re-read and it seems that you perhaps did send the HMRC form but they are saying they want the ATO form?

If so that's not my exerience of the process based on what other people have done/needed to do (however maybe the ATO are doing things differently now but I can't clarify that I'm afraid).

It won’t let me paste the link but it is on the ATO website under forms. Just google ATO and the form number and it comes up. You can print it off. I did this a while back and it takes a while as they approve it then send it to HMRC who then inform the pension company to stop deducting tax at source. 
You can claim back any tax paid in UK either from HMRC or I think by offsetting on your ato return. As I said it took a few months, some of the current years tax can be refunded by the pension company (mine was) but anything before April can’t be. 

20 hours ago, Andrew from Vista Financial said:

Sorry just re-read and it seems that you perhaps did send the HMRC form but they are saying they want the ATO form?

If so that's not my exerience of the process based on what other people have done/needed to do (however maybe the ATO are doing things differently now but I can't clarify that I'm afraid).

Hi Andy.

Yes, the Certificate of Residency now seems to be needed as well as the HMRC Tax Treaty form.

Nice of the ATO and HMRC to let us know ... anyone would think they add these hurdles to make it difficult for taxpayers to be compliant ...

Onwards!

Best regards.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rammygirl said:

It won’t let me paste the link but it is on the ATO website under forms. Just google ATO and the form number and it comes up. You can print it off. I did this a while back and it takes a while as they approve it then send it to HMRC who then inform the pension company to stop deducting tax at source. 
You can claim back any tax paid in UK either from HMRC or I think by offsetting on your ato return. As I said it took a few months, some of the current years tax can be refunded by the pension company (mine was) but anything before April can’t be. 

No, you can't (or shouldn't) claim a tax offset in Australia for PAYE deducted from a UK source pension which is solely taxable in Australia by virtue of Article 17 of the UK-Australia tax treaty.

You should claim a tax repayment from HMRC for the period when the pension is solely taxable in Australia.

Best regards.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Seems like this is a new thing then, great.

Andy - We never met, I called in to make an appointment but you kindly managed to sort out my queries over the phone. I think at the time it was just the HMRC form that was needed but clearly not any more. I sent that one in and they sent me a copy back saying the original had been sent to Parramatta, ? pending processing, I’m assuming it was actually ok, no idea. 

rammygirl and Alan - the first part I got stuck on was section B 8 as I have no idea what I’m requesting! What do they need me to ask for? I don’t even know what documentation they’re talking about. The other part was no 11 - I thought I was requesting tax relief going forward but this part seems to indicate years past and specific time periods, not ongoing. It’s just not at all clear to me and I feel incredibly dim! 

The letter I received from the ATO said “ You need to lodge a new application using the form … You need to make sure your information is up to date before you lodge a new request. This includes residency status and lodgement details”. That was pretty much it, not helpful or explanatory to my mind. 

Definitely unnecessary hurdles.

22 hours ago, FrankieJo said:

Thanks for the replies. Seems like this is a new thing then, great.

Andy - We never met, I called in to make an appointment but you kindly managed to sort out my queries over the phone. I think at the time it was just the HMRC form that was needed but clearly not any more. I sent that one in and they sent me a copy back saying the original had been sent to Parramatta, ? pending processing, I’m assuming it was actually ok, no idea. 

rammygirl and Alan - the first part I got stuck on was section B 8 as I have no idea what I’m requesting! What do they need me to ask for? I don’t even know what documentation they’re talking about. The other part was no 11 - I thought I was requesting tax relief going forward but this part seems to indicate years past and specific time periods, not ongoing. It’s just not at all clear to me and I feel incredibly dim! 

The letter I received from the ATO said “ You need to lodge a new application using the form … You need to make sure your information is up to date before you lodge a new request. This includes residency status and lodgement details”. That was pretty much it, not helpful or explanatory to my mind. 

Definitely unnecessary hurdles.

Feel able to ping a message to me or email me at my bdhtax.com email address if you think you need help with this matter.

I can then let you know our fee for assisting.

Best regards.