491 residency

The Gees

We have a 491 but haven’t moved over to Aus yet.  We have, however, entered the country (visited over Easter) as per the visa conditions. We are one year down on the 5 year visa…

I’ve had an email from immigration asking for proof of residence in Australia. Before I respond to their email, Am I right in thinking that we don’t have to have moved yet? And that we only need to have entered the country. 

3 hours ago, The Gees said:

We have a 491 but haven’t moved over to Aus yet.  We have, however, entered the country (visited over Easter) as per the visa conditions. We are one year down on the 5 year visa…

I’ve had an email from immigration asking for proof of residence in Australia. Before I respond to their email, Am I right in thinking that we don’t have to have moved yet? And that we only need to have entered the country. 

Yes - but you need to factor in how long you have to be working in regional Australia in order to be eligible for the permanent visa before your 491 expires.

• Thanks 1