mental health and visa application

yuyuyu24

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know if the medical examination for student visas includes skin inspections? I struggle with mental health and have relapsed with s/h lately. I am worried if they see s/h marks it would be considered as danger to self/others(?).

I have had one GP consultation about my mental health and I think I was diagnosed with depression. I haven’t done visits with psychiatrists but I do counselling sessions. I am not on any medications and have not been hospitalised due to any mental health episodes.

Can this result in a visa refusal?

Hi, firstly I hope you are OK and are seeking the support you need.  Help is available, no matter where you are in the world, and there are a lot of people out there who are willing, available and keen to get you what you need.

I am not going to give any specific advice on here about your circumstances, it is inappropriate on a public forum and in particular given the nature of your questions.  Generally speaking mental health is a factor that is considered during medicals but it is by no means a 'bar' on people getting a visa.  Like any condition it is considered in the context of cost and impact on Australia.  What is important is to be open and honest about any diagnosis, treatment or symptoms you have.  It is generally worse for information to be 'found' than declared.  

Student visas in general have changed a fair amount recently so it is probably worth a chat with a Registered Migration Agent to get some clarity.  If you are using an Education Agent they will be able to make a recommendation (just be sure they are Registered) or any of the Agents who post here can help.

Good luck

• Like 1

Have a read about the significant cost threshold (which currently stands at $86,000) and the hypothetical person test. It seems unlikely that a person with depression would fail the health requirement, but as stated best to seek professional advice. 

• 1 month later...