sponsored 482 then PR stream at 2 years??

Excite2024

hey everyone, new member with questions i am hoping can be answered, i have browsed the forums and there seems to be an answer for everything,

i have recently applied for an internal transfer via work, i am a 41 year old engineer and have been with my company for 7 years. i have received my job offer, signed and returned, my employer has now put me in touch with an agent and instructed - to initiate the 482 visa application process. (for 3 years then PR stream at 2 years). my employer has sent all the relevant info - salary etc etc, and i have supplied everything else such as quals police checks and so on.

my Question is...... at the age of 41. what are my chances of gaining PR? i think everything else is in order and i shouldn't have a problem gaining a 482 tss

i intend to leave the UK and never look back. but i don't want to get my hopes up if the chances of gaining PR is slim to none at my age.

has anyone else done similar? 

Thanks everyone

1 hour ago, Excite2024 said:

i have recently applied for an internal transfer via work, i am a 41 year old engineer and have been with my company for 7 years. i have received my job offer, signed and returned, my employer has now put me in touch with an agent and instructed - to initiate the 482 visa application process. (for 3 years then PR stream at 2 years). 

my Question is...... at the age of 41. what are my chances of gaining PR?...

i intend to leave the UK and never look back. but i don't want to get my hopes up if the chances of gaining PR is slim to none at my age.

Impossible to say, unfortunately.   Not because you're too old, but because the rules change every year.   Right now, under today's rules, you should be fine.  

However, over the years, we've seen several members come to Australia on the 482, confident they'll get PR -- but by the time they're eligible to apply 2 years later, the rules have changed, they're not eligible to apply, and they end up having to go home. So the bottom line is, no one can tell you.  We've got a new government in power and they're reviewing visas, so who knows. 

I think it might be worth havnig a word with another agent (one that's not working for your employer) to see what your options are.  Once you've got the 482, you may be able to apply for PR independently, as soon as you arrive in Australia, instead of waiting for employer sponsorship in 2 years.  Your employer isn't likely to point that out ot you, because they'd rather you stay on a sponsored visa, which ties you to them for the full contract.  But if you can get your own PR, you can still choose to stay working for them.  Worth finding out IMO

• Like 1

I appreciate the response and insight. I am asking because I have a property in the UK..  when I say I don't want to look back when I leave I mean it, but... I also know that nothing in life is guaranteed. I think based on the facts I will rent my property while I relocate with the view to sell if I get PR. Would be foolish to sell at the temp visa stange. If I do end up going home.... I will still have a hoen to go to I suppose.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Excite2024 said:

my Question is...... at the age of 41. what are my chances of gaining PR? i think everything else is in order and i shouldn't have a problem gaining a 482 tss

It’s possible but time is not on your side … it will also somewhat depend on what you mean by ‘engineer’ 

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Once you've got the 482, you may be able to apply for PR independently, as soon as you arrive in Australia, instead of waiting for employer sponsorship in 2 years.

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I think it might be worth havnig a word with another agent (one that's not working for your employer) to see what your options are. 

This is good advice … I would take it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, paulhand said:

It’s possible but time is not on your side … it will also somewhat depend on what you mean by ‘engineer’ 

This is good advice … I would take it. 

thank you for the reply, i am currently employed as Forklift Engineer, i also have imi level 3 in mechanical repair and  imi level 3 auto electrics and a mot testers cert class 4&7

i will contact another agent and ask the question. cheers

2 minutes ago, Excite2024 said:

thank you for the reply, i am currently employed as Forklift Engineer, i also have imi level 3 in mechanical repair and  imi level 3 auto electrics and a mot testers cert class 4&7

i will contact another agent and ask the question. cheers

paulhand who commented above is a highly regarded agent on this forum and has helped many people over many years.  You’d do well to reach out to him. 

• Like 3

Owning property in one country when you live in another is a pain in the bum... Also as soon as you transfer to PR you will then not be able to sell it without owing the Australian government money (in most cases).

I'm not saying don't (we do, and we have a few) but it really complicates tax time and it's a real pain when stuff goes wrong (our relatively new boiler broke within 4 months of getting here and it was painful sorting that from 10k miles away)

26 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

Owning property in one country when you live in another is a pain in the bum... Also as soon as you transfer to PR you will then not be able to sell it without owing the Australian government money (in most cases).

How do you work that out?   If it was your own home prior to leaving the country, then it's exempt from capital gains tax for the first six years or until you buy a home in Australia.