Help & Advice Appreciated

Lostleedsfan

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I'm confused now.  I didn't need a UK address to set up the account but that was a few years ago.  Then this year, a PIO member tried to set up an account and said the rules had changed, and they couldn't do it without a UK address.  How recently did you set yours up?

Yes, that's the difference between the UK and Australian pensions.

We tried - and failed - to set up an account for a friend of mine this year. Not having a UK address wasn't a problem, it was the fact that he needed either a UK passport or UK driving licence.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Marisawright said:

We made the same discovery.  We tried to retire to the UK in 2015.  We were in a much better position financially than you, but we soon realised that we wouldn't have the Aussie pension as a safety net if our money ran out and we felt that was too much of a risk.  

The reason is that there's no social security agreement between Australia and the UK.  It's odd because you'd think there would be, given our other ties.  

This might sound like a crazy idea, but do you think you could live in Ireland?  I don't mean Northern Ireland, I mean the separate country Ireland.

As a British citizen, you have the right to live in Ireland without any restrictions.  There IS a social security agreement between Australia and Ireland so you'd be able to claim your pension if you lived there. So you'd be financially much more secure.  I know Ireland isn't England, but it's much closer to the culture and climate you prefer, and within reach of visiting the UK (or family visiting you).  You could maybe view it as a stepping stone -- get to Ireland, stay there till you get your Aussie pension sorted, then it's only a small hop to move over to England.

100% yes and I do have an old friend in Co Offaly which is rural and gentle. I have reached out to him and he is looking for me what permanent residential caravan parks may exist. I’ve contacted half a dozen so far only to find out the close from Oct to Mar so I would assume are more recreational than residential. It’s a good option xxxx Thank You

Fresh Guinness as a bonus too 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lostleedsfan said:

100% yes and I do have an old friend in Co Offaly which is rural and gentle. I have reached out to him and he is looking for me what permanent residential caravan parks may exist.

Fingers crossed for you.   In your older age it would be the perfect solution because you'd be able to get both your UK and Australian pensions so you'd be a lot more financially secure. Hope it works out for you.

20 hours ago, Nemesis said:

We tried - and failed - to set up an account for a friend of mine this year. Not having a UK address wasn't a problem, it was the fact that he needed either a UK passport or UK driving licence.

I live in Ireland not the UK and was able to set up using Irish address and passport.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, partnership said:

I live in Ireland not the UK and was able to set up using Irish address and passport.

WIth an Irish passport? Thats interesting....we may have to try again, thanks!