Bringing Children to Australia

paul566

Hi All, 

My ex wife has asked me to take our 2 children, She currently lives in the UK, UK Citizen. She has said she wants me to bring the children back to Australia with me. Boy aged 8 and Girl aged 5. 

Im an Australian Citizen now and live in Brisbane. 

My question is 

• Can i just bring them back with me then apply for their visas when we are in country
  • If not then does anyone know the visa processing times currently 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I head back to the uk on Thursday for a few weeks to visit, I think my Ex Wife wants me to bring them back with me after this trip. 

This is not just a migration question, this is also a family law matter.  As children of an Australian citizen your kids qualify for Citizenship.  Rather than rush things I would probably apply for that, get them sorted with passports and while that is processing have a family law expert advise you on the intricacies of taking the kids over here

42 minutes ago, mcdonagh migrations said:

This is not just a migration question, this is also a family law matter.  As children of an Australian citizen your kids qualify for Citizenship.  Rather than rush things I would probably apply for that, get them sorted with passports and while that is processing have a family law expert advise you on the intricacies of taking the kids over here

Won’t they only qualify for citizenship by descent if he was a citizen at the time of their birth? I don’t think taking them back in a couple of weeks is going to be that easy. Definitely need to get family law advice. 

Were they born in the UK or Australia?  If born in Australia and you had PR at the time then they qualify for Citizenship by birth.

The obvious permanent visa is a SC101, Dependent Child visa but they need to be outside Australia at the time of grant.  I totally hear you on the environment and it is an awful position for you and your children. 

I suspect that a paid consult with a Migration Agent to get a proper picture is worth the money - there are a number who post on here and could help but this is probably too complex to get help on an internet forum